Stand recommendations.

-
You should not need those washers, all the arms should be the same. if the bolts are too long then put the washers under the head of the bold. The way you have it the engine will droop and be difficult to spin.

Alan

The top bolts are different then the bottom ones just because I'm a hill billy.

I've got a lot of those same bolts.:)

put the washers directly under the head of the bolt, NOT between the block and stand mount.

I'll move them before i start working on it. Hopefully i can keep the arms in place if i move them just one at a time.
Does it really make it that much more stable?

It's pretty good now that i have the arms in the right place. Not sure why taking the plate off magically made the arms go where i needed them.

Not sure why taking the plate off magically made the arms go where i needed them.

magic meme.gif

If you don't expect everything to cost sixty bucks, Harbor Freight does have a damn good stand.

2000 lb. Capacity Foldable Engine Stand

If you get a 20 or 25% coupon, it's even better. I have had a 56 331 Hemi on it, a 360, a 400 Ford, a 302 Ford and have a Chevy 396 on it right now and it BARELY moved with the fully assembled 331 on it. Very stable stand.

HOWEVER, I will say this. About 3 weeks ago, I was moving the stand......with the 396 bare block on it. I was kinda bent down because I was reaching for something on the floor. I didn't know one of the hitch pins had been knocked out of one of the clevis pins that hold the legs down and the clevis pin was BARELY hanging in. By the time I noticed it, it was too late. The clevis pin hit the floor.

The engine stand and block fell over on my shoulder and scraped my arm from the shoulder to my elbow. Had Kitty not been there to slow the fall, it would have broken my arm. I put the clevis pin and hitch pin back in and picked the stand and block back up.

And before you blame it on the cheap stand, it was not the stand's fault. It was mine. I remembered back to when I loaded the block on the stand with my hoist. One of the hoist legs knocked the hitch pin out. That's how it got removed.

It's a damn good stand. Folds up nice too so you can store it out of the way.

The top bolts are different then the bottom ones just because I'm a hill billy.

Then put the washers under the head of the bolt instead of between the engine and arm. It will work better.

Will do, Sorry to hear about your 396. Was it ruined from the fall?

Oh no. It didn't hurt it at all. Left some nasty bruises and a long scratch on my arm though. It's almost cleared up now and the 396 is ready to assemble. I'll have the short block built in a couple days since I am on vacation.

Lol, you can tell by the swiss cheese look mine fits a lot of stuff. Some of that stuff I didn't even work on. And if sumpin' don't fit, I have a drill!

upload_2018-6-23_16-38-43.png

upload_2018-6-23_16-42-10.png

My 440 is hanging on the Heavy Duty stand from Tractor Supply.

Forget what I paid for it .It It's sturdy as could be!

As soon as I get Dottie in primer I'll get on the motor.

-
Back