Standard Dash to Rallye Dash

-

FlyingFalcon

Reaction score
Thinking about swapping to rallye dash. How hard is it to modify the standard dash frame to a rallye dash? I know someone here has to have done it. I looked for a thread but couldn't find one. If anyone could link me or explain the process I'd greatly appreciate it

Thanks FABO

if you have the bezel place it on top of the standard frame. You will need the locations for where the screw holes are. Possibly clearance for the cluster housing in the frame. Not sure if the radio and heater are offset from one to the other.

I have never done it but i did some reading a few years back, but i cant find the thread i was reading it on.

The radio location is different on the standard dash vs. the rally dash. A lot of differences so its really easiest to get a rally dash frame if you want a correct looking set up. there are some who cut and pasted this and that for an aftermarket look.

You can use one out of an A-body cuda to save a lot of expense because they are around, however it will require some modification to make it correct for the target year style you are trying to create.

Moving the vin number is not a problem, people make it into rocket science and usually those with something to hide make a big *** deal about it. My 68 dart has a complete rally dash out of a 68 Barracuda. Cops and state patrol have seen the car after the swap and NO ONE CARES.

They just look for the correct vin rivets which you can buy (expensive), They check to make sure the vin tag secure on the dash with a finger wiggle, and they check to make sure the number matches the registration. The only reason they will start checking body stampings and so on is if they suspect something is wrong. They need probable cause for that and a warrant. Its not a huge deal if the car is on the up and up.

Rally dashes are not all the same. Be aware that every single year they were made from 67-71 has differences. You need to decide what year style you want to create to determine which dash frame and parts you need.

I made a rally dash thread some time ago describing the differences.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=234435&highlight=rally+dash+thread

I did some gauge work for another member who completed the standard to rally dash transformation. He went all out, 150 mph speedo, tach, everything, plus reproduction bezel incl. glove box trim. He stated the total cost was about 1200. So sure it's doable, with the original standard dash. Replacing it with a rally dash to get around/past the sheet metal mod would add to the total cost.

Would a A body Barracuda Dash fir in a Dart/Duster with no problem? I mean if you didn't care about "Correctness" and the ignition not being in the column or anything like that, it should just Bolt rite up Right?

Would a A body Barracuda Dash fir in a Dart/Duster with no problem? I mean if you didn't care about "Correctness" and the ignition not being in the column or anything like that, it should just Bolt rite up Right?

depends what year.. mine is a 68 dart with a 68 barracuda dash .....I swapped in the whole show, meaning the frame, wiring, cluster and all from the cuda and it was a bolt in / plug in deal to the dart.

when you start changing years, it can be done and made to look correct with modification, such as plugging the ignition hole on the dash if put in a 70+ car.

I also have a 71 dart with a rally dash set up that looks completely correct for a 71 but it started life as a 67 frame, but I plugged the ignition hole shut and modified the glove box plug and some other minor things and people see it and never realize its modified. They think its correct to the car because everything was changed to appear completely 71 (post 4 in my rally dash thread)

But yes, all A-body dash frames (frame itself) will interchange as bolt in from 67-76.

I converted the dash in my Duster from a standard to a rallye. I modified the sheetmetal instead of installing a rallye dash surround, and even did it while in the car.

Now, having done it, I would suggest buying a rallye dash frame and installing the rallye dash that way instead of modifying the standard dash frame. Much easier. But it can be done if you can work with sheetmetal. Most of the info is in the build thread for my Duster, the link is in my signature. There are a bunch more pictures of how I modified the rallye cluster. You also have to do some work to rearrange the wiring, you have to swap the wires in the connector for the gauges, as well as add an additional connector if you're using doing the swap into a later model car.

Before
IMG_1010_zps7ab7029d.jpg

IMG_1011_zpsa4bd6f27.jpg

Dash frame modified
IMG_1078_zpse633346a.jpg

Rallye gauges restored/modified
IMG_4924_zps6578e197.jpg

Installed
IMG_5173_zps20a8aa1b.jpg

IMG_5176_zps782af97e.jpg

if you don't mind spending the extra coins, the hole in a dash for ignition switch is a great location for a right remote mirror controller. First step is building a right mirror with long cable remote. My 67 dash has 2 ignition switch bezels side by side. The hardest part for me was cutting holes in the door skin and jamb.

I converted the dash in my Duster from a standard to a rallye. I modified the sheetmetal instead of installing a rallye dash surround, and even did it while in the car.

Now, having done it, I would suggest buying a rallye dash frame and installing the rallye dash that way instead of modifying the standard dash frame. Much easier. But it can be done if you can work with sheetmetal. Most of the info is in the build thread for my Duster, the link is in my signature. There are a bunch more pictures of how I modified the rallye cluster. You also have to do some work to rearrange the wiring, you have to swap the wires in the connector for the gauges, as well as add an additional connector if you're using doing the swap into a later model car.

Before
IMG_1010_zps7ab7029d.jpg

IMG_1011_zpsa4bd6f27.jpg

Dash frame modified
IMG_1078_zpse633346a.jpg

Rallye gauges restored/modified
IMG_4924_zps6578e197.jpg

Installed
IMG_5173_zps20a8aa1b.jpg

IMG_5176_zps782af97e.jpg
Where did the carbon fiber inlays come from?

-
Back