Standard Intake to Max Wedge

-

Mtrhed

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm in the market for a set of heads and am considering the Edelbrock Victor Jr. Max Wedge II's. The available intakes for these seems pretty limited. I was curious if anyone has ported a standard port intake to make it work with the raised ports of the Max Wedge? I realize a dual plane intake will be limiting what the Max Wedge heads are capable of delivering. I've heard others have had good results matching the regular Victor Jr. Heads with the Performer RPM intake.
Theres never a shortage of opinions on this site so lets have 'em!
Thanks

Why would you not run a cross ram on the max heads????

It is matched to work with the heads....

He already has an intake?
Doesn't want to spend the crazy money that a Max Wedge head comands?
WANs to know if he can port an intake to match?

Place Max Wedge gasket over intake and then use machinists dye to mark the intake then mark with a scratch all. See how much meat you have left over to possibly cut out.

I know a guy that put a factory max wedge cross ram on hog'd out 906s.
He said he went thru several heads before he found a pair with enough meat.
I know this was going the opposite direction of miss match to yours.
Sometimes things can be made to work.

That was the problem back in 70s by the time you got the heads to max wedge intake runner size. They were just about impossible to seal. That was our experience with them back then .

Thanks for the input guys. I'm considering a set of the Edelbrock Max Wedge II's but I think they're really overkill for my app. Still, I'd hate to leave something on the table by getting the wrong heads. I kill for one of those repop Max Wedge crossrams. I could probably get girls with one of those set-ups. I think I'll stick to standard port heads. Either the Victor Jr's, or the CNC 440 source are my leading contenders. Has anyone tried the Trick-Flow's Power Port 240's?

Thanks for the input guys. I'm considering a set of the Edelbrock Max Wedge II's but I think they're really overkill for my app. Still, I'd hate to leave something on the table by getting the wrong heads. I kill for one of those repop Max Wedge crossrams. I could probably get girls with one of those set-ups. I think I'll stick to standard port heads. Either the Victor Jr's, or the CNC 440 source are my leading contenders. Has anyone tried the Trick-Flow's Power Port 240's?

if you read up on the flow numbers on intakes, the max wedge crossram aint really that good ! a victor will out perform it w/ the right set up.

My plan has always been to use a single 4 bbl. But since my car is a plain-jane by design, having a cross-ram stitting there when I pop the hood might be worth loosing a few tenths at the track. Too bad they're so expensive. An STR would be the next best thing.

I'm considering a set of the Edelbrock Max Wedge II's but I think they're really overkill for my app. Still, I'd hate to leave something on the table by getting the wrong heads.

Just throwing this out there. Unported the performer RPM heads outflow the victor juniors up to .500 lift or so from what I've read.

Touch base with IQ52 about your head choice. He is a wealth of knowledge and skill.

Anybody have a part number for an Edelbrock Victor Jr. Max Wedge II? Never heard of that animal.

In this day and age I would not select a head because it has Max Wedge ports. I'd look for the best head that matches my realistic RPM range, Power output, budget, and intended use of the car. There is a larger selection of modern heads that flow well.

With that, what do you intend to do with the car? What is your build? How do expect the car and engine to perform?

if you read up on the flow numbers on intakes, the max wedge crossram aint really that good ! a victor will out perform it w/ the right set up.

How can the cross ram not be that good???

The max wedge had 100% volumetric efficiency at 6500 RPM...

Something they still can't do today with computer design and computer controlled engines, and they did it back in the day with slide rules and flow benches.... :prayer:

How can the cross ram not be that good???

The max wedge had 100% volumetric efficiency at 6500 RPM...

Something they still can't do today with computer design and computer controlled engines, and they did it back in the day with slide rules and flow benches.... :prayer:

The crossram isn't as good because of all the turns the air has to make getting into the ports, IMHO. A good tunnel ram makes more power everywhere in the rpm band as far as a street/strop combo goes. The big INDY 440-25 crossram makes a lot more power than the max wedge does, and its a modern intake, if someone wanted to stick with that type of intake.

The crossram isn't as good because of all the turns the air has to make getting into the ports, IMHO. A good tunnel ram makes more power everywhere in the rpm band as far as a street/strop combo goes. The big INDY 440-25 crossram makes a lot more power than the max wedge does, and its a modern intake, if someone wanted to stick with that type of intake.

I`m still hung up on (victor jr) and "max wedge" in the same sentence !

Hello everyone,
I'm in the market for a set of heads and am considering the Edelbrock Victor Jr. Max Wedge II's. The available intakes for these seems pretty limited. I was curious if anyone has ported a standard port intake to make it work with the raised ports of the Max Wedge? I realize a dual plane intake will be limiting what the Max Wedge heads are capable of delivering. I've heard others have had good results matching the regular Victor Jr. Heads with the Performer RPM intake.
Theres never a shortage of opinions on this site so lets have 'em!
Thanks

My plan has always been to use a single 4 bbl. But since my car is a plain-jane by design, having a cross-ram stitting there when I pop the hood might be worth loosing a few tenths at the track. Too bad they're so expensive. An STR would be the next best thing.

Dear Sir Motorhead,

So far it sounds like we are chasing tail here, female or Ford and Chevy.

How can anyone recommend a cylinder head for either purpose if no one knows anything about the engine, other than the idea of "Edelbrock Victor Jr. Max Wedge II's" has been discarded and "Victor Jr's" and "CNC 440 source" are now in the running? What engine are we working on and what is it's purpose now and in the future? Is there a gold appetite on a cast iron budget? IS there a budget? Or are we going to make a hundred guesses and be told, "Naw, I can't afford that now." What parts are available and which might never be? Do I sound old and crotchety? Well forgive me, I am getting old and don't have a lot of time to waste on guessing games.

Only one of those 3 are worth chasing in select instances and it isn't ford or chevy.

Cross Ram Max Wedge flow and dyno tests.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/mopp-0701-mopar-intake-manifold/

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/mopp-0911-intake-manifold-tests/

100% VE isn't anything great now-a-days. Heck, we regularly get 105 VE on the pump gas street engines and 110-114% VE on the better pump gas engines.

I've got dyno sheet after dyno sheet on a pump gas, single plane, single 4bbl, 383 at 110-111 VE in the 5,700-6,500 rpm range.

That's nice, but I would like to see them test the max parts together as they were matched, not put a max intake on indy heads with a different cam than was designed for the max. That all has an effect on the ram effect which the intake takes advantage of.

The first test is a flow bench which does not take into account the valve opening and closing which is part of the ram induction effects. The power band of the cam used in the test also affects the output. Put the max cam and parts together and see how they work. With the mixing of the parts, they are effecting the ram effect as designed into the max wedges.

I'll stick with my max wedge package myself...

View attachment Max A02 B.jpg

View attachment Max A05 B.jpg

You get an A for enthusiasm but an F on your facts. An engine is an air pump, some parts are not as efficient as others. It's been proven too many times that there are better intakes.. don't believe me.. go ask an NHRA stock eliminator racer who has a max wedge if he would rather have that intake manifold or something mentioned above... go ahead.. I'd dare ya, I know the answer... :happy1:

That's nice, but I would like to see them test the max parts together as they were matched, not put a max intake on indy heads with a different cam than was designed for the max. That all has an effect on the ram effect which the intake takes advantage of.

The first test is a flow bench which does not take into account the valve opening and closing which is part of the ram induction effects. The power band of the cam used in the test also affects the output. Put the max cam and parts together and see how they work. With the mixing of the parts, they are effecting the ram effect as designed into the max wedges.

I'll stick with my max wedge package myself...

View attachment 1714872902

View attachment 1714872903

I love the look of the max wedge intake, and also the edelbrock STR cross rams. But the INDY 440-25 makes way more power than either one, as was mentioned, go ask the nostalgia super stock racers........

Krazy Kuda,I have a pair of 4bolt cast aluminium valve covers for them heads if your interested.

Krazy Kuda,I have a pair of 4bolt cast aluminium valve covers for them heads if your interested.

Thanks, but they are 6 bolt and I found a set of covers for it. They are in the picture with the stage III decals...

I believe the numbers for the Victor Jr heads are as follows:

77929 - standard port with valves
78949 - Max Wedge II's with valves

Prices for both seem to run the same, about $890 per head on eBay.

My car:
'68 2 Dr post
440 reported to be built be reputable local shop/owner who ended up trading to car off on a bad deal for another car that caught his eye. I spoke to the guy who put the car together and he said the trade was the one of the dumbest things he'd ever done. He said he had good parts in the car and traded it off before he ever got to run it. This guy has built up multiple BB A-bodies so he knows what works and he and his son's drag raced them regulary at the local track. He used to be a regular on this site but I can't remember his name. His drag car was called " The Womanator" (funny story behind the name!)
Anyway the guy he traded the car to was the one I bought it from. It was running on open headers and not steet legal. The PO said the motor had forged crank, six pack rods, and Forged TRW pistons. He claimed the pistons were selected to provide a zero deck height. In broad strokes the other parts are:

Performer RPM manifold
906 heads - PO claimed some mild port & chamber work
TTI header with the large primarys
3 1/2" exhaust back to Flowmasters, 2 1/2" over the axle
Stock looking distributor with chrome factory ignition box
Full manual reversed pattern 727 with about a 3K stall convertor
8 3/4" 741 housing with 3.91's and "Fresh" limited slip. Strange axles
Mini tubbed - can accomodate 29" X 11" tires with minor mods
Sub-frame connected
8 pt cage
Trunk mounted battery

I have several different sizes and flavors of Holleys to choose from including a 4500 with an MP single plane manifold.
The car came with a couple Uni-lites dizzys but I think I'll convert these with Pertronix units.
I've got a Mallory 685 multi-strike box I'm planing on using.
The cam in the car is a mystery. The guy who built it thouht he had a hydraulic "Purple" cam in it. Since I can't verify I planned on seapping a cam when I do the heads. I'd be going for a hydraulic flat tappet cam.

The CNC 440 source heads make sense to me just because if I buy the standard Stealth heads and valves then I'd still need to pay a good machine shop to set the heads up with valves, springs, retainers, keepers. Even if I supply the parts I think machine shop costs will be about what the diffrence between the regular stealth heads and CNC heads is. Other then assembly and setting installed spring height I think the CNC's should be good to bolt on.

The car will be a street and strip car in the purest sense. I'd like to drive it to the track on cheater slicks and drive it home once I'm done. The car might make it into a car show but function comes first. I've no need, or can afford, a trailer queen.
I notice 440 Source is stocking the Trick Flow heads. Trick Flow saye these heads are CNC ported. Trick Flows catalog doesn't say much about the CNC work where they should be crowing about it if it's true. These heads are about the same money as the 440 Source CNC heads but come fully assembled. Haven't checked to see if the springs are even something I could use with new cam.

-
Back