Start out with only a pound or two...

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Just wondering out loud...Lets say one had a completely fresh car. Never driven type of thing..Would there be an issue starting out with minimum boost while working on the tune and the setup of the car? Would it make the turbo act any differently than running it at 15 pounds of boost?

Turbos and snail housing superchargers build boost. So, what's the difference if you tune for 5 or 15? The answer is "Your doing it twice." And I say why bother just go for it.

You have the 02 sensor?
Good! You won't run it lean because you'll know ahead of time before it is to late. ;)

Turbos and snail housing superchargers build boost. So, what's the difference if you tune for 5 or 15? The answer is "Your doing it twice." And I say why bother just go for it.

You have the 02 sensor?
Good! You won't run it lean because you'll know ahead of time before it is to late. ;)
More concerned with the car never being driven...steer straight...stopping...hooking up...that sort of stuff...

Sounds to me like you need to double check your work more than tune it twice.

I don't know...the thought of launching a completely untested vehicle at a high boost level just sounds a bit risky to me...I am not talking about being concerned with the motor tune, more of a chassis thing...

I don't know...the thought of launching a completely untested vehicle at a high boost level just sounds a bit risky to me...I am not talking about being concerned with the motor tune, more of a chassis thing...
The main thing controlling your boost is your right foot.
Racers do shake down test runs all the time without de-tuning.

Well if your that worryed can always pull the vaccum line off the top of the waste gate and run off the spring rate inside, but just keep your foot out of it, make a few short pulls see how it responds, then when your a little more comfortable keep your foot in iy making a good long pull.

It's best to ease into boost levels starting low and work up. This way you can tune fuel and ignition slowly. You don't have the reaction time to read AFR and make a correction before it's too late if AFR is too lean and boost is high.

AFR is only one piece of the puzzle. You don't yet know how ignition will react under boost. You need to hear the onset of detonation defined as pinging or knocking while only slightly in boost so you can correct it before going balls to the wall and never see the piston explosion coming. You can't just use the throttle to control and limit it. Detonation happens under max cylinder pressures and limiting throttle isn't enabling you to reach those levels. You must start slow and work up. Preferably with fuel that is over the top in octane and quality to what is going to be ran permanently.

This is what us folks do when we are inexperienced. I don't care if someone says you need to recheck everything or do better work or only tune once. That's bullshit. I'd love to see someone tune anything once and get it right. ******* sorcery if they could. You'll be tuning this more than twice anyways, I guarantee it. Probably more than a dozen times. And that's ok! These mods are complicated and involve many many measurements, moving parts, and seals that leak, not to mention we have a constantly changing atmosphere.

Turbo doesn't care if you bypass more or less around it to make boost. It will only act (spool) differently when you set your desired final boost level. You can start out with the wastegate wide open, as you should. Get it to idle, transition to part throttle, part throttle, 1/2 power, 3/4, full throttle, then start by increasing boost with the wastegate.

The best advise comes from someone who has already done it.....ME.

9:1 Compression
Cold heat range spark plugs
50mm wastegate
7psi
And ease into it......
Watch you wideband gauge
Anything Leaner than 12:1 under WoT back out of it, increase jetting.

There is No cheap method if you care about your investment/time.

-
Back