Starter bolt vs starter stud

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Has anyone used a stud instead of the bolt at the top to bolt on your starter.I find it a ***** to hold that starter and get the top bolt started on my 360 or 318 in the past.Been thinking about it for some time,so would like some feedback if anyone has done this.

Yes on a stock bell housing it works good. I switched to a Quicktime and it uses a Nut and Bolt now, now that is a real pain in the azzzzzz.... I guess I could have welded the bolt to the housing. Maybe when the starter takes a dump that will happen.

:cheers:
Yes on a stock bell housing it works good. I switched to a Quicktime and it uses a Nut and Bolt now, now that is a real pain in the azzzzzz.... I guess I could have welded the bolt to the housing. Maybe when the starter takes a dump that will happen.

Kind of figured someone would of done this.Were can one get the right size stud and lenght,maybe a tranny shop?:cheers:

Just make sure you are happy with your exhaust first, if you switch to headers, you might not have enough room to juggle around the starter over the stud.

The stud comes in really handy, to hold up the weight, if you have room to jiggle, go with the stud.

Ya thats my thing that starter is heavey as we all know,I think a stud would work for me .Now to get one befor this Wednesday thats when its going in the 360 that is.

I picked up a new/used mini-starter from a 89 Dakota 318 at the wreckers for $40,it,s nice and light,easy to work with.Maybe try and find one for your install?

I picked up a new/used mini-starter from a 89 Dakota 318 at the wreckers for $40,it,s nice and light,easy to work with.Maybe try and find one for your install?

Thanks Scott for the reminder about that starter,now if I remember is there a little problim were the 2 wires go on the starter,or do the wires go on the same way .Great reminder.Thanksssss

I am using two studs on my starter. I also have the Dakota style starter. Much lighter and easier to handle in the tight spaces between the headers and block.

-
Back