starter/exhaust HELP!!!!! :(

-

mopow3r

Reaction score
we have a 69 dart 340 with hipo manis on it, take it to get exhaust done and we have barely any room between the torsion bar and starter, which was a mini starter the first time, the motor or the starter hangs over too far, so he tells us to go back with a factory starter so we go get one from advance and boom the starter motor is positioned up high enough but now the solenoid is giving us less clearance than the mini starter lol, i was thinking about going to the junkyard in the morning and getting a magnum starter off of a v8 dakota or ram and trying my luck with that. has ANYONE ever bumped into this problem before or have a solution? or do they make a starter that has the motor shifted up higher? thanks for any help and its a piece of 2 1/2 pipe in the pic and its been smashed already lol

Attachments

• star.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 155
Having a similar problem mine fit but gets warm so have to wait 5min after stopping to restart. Was hoping a mini starter would help. Not enough room for a heat shield.

www.accurateltd.com

This is always a tough fit.

Get a set of 340 A-body head pipes from accurate exhaust. Problem solved.

I would also stick with the mini starter.

Th clip on your clutch rod looks like it's about to pop off. Both sets of tabs should be under the z bar button.

The pipe exits almost straight down from your manifold, then turns back.

Th clip on your clutch rod looks like it's about to pop off. Both sets of tabs should be under the z bar button.

The pipe exits almost straight down from your manifold, then turns back.

x2. You exh guy is mistaken if he's trying to run it between the starter and bar. It goes down in front of the starter and then turns back.
And ps - the spring clip goes on the outside of the D shaped bolt, not over it as you have it.

Had the same issue with my 6.1. Try a 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi manual trans starter. It rotates the solenoid to the top. I believe it will work in your situation as it bolted up to mine identical to the original 318 auto starter

Here is how the factory did it. Look at the pictures.

I'd let Tom Swope from Accurate sell you some A-body 2.5" headpipes to solve the problem.

Attachments

• 69 DS EP flat.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 69 Ds EP ft.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 118
I agree. Tom's version isn't quite like the one pictured, but will work. I found it ended up hanging a little lower than where real good exhaust guys can run it. That said, it's a good piece, and Tom has the correct flange (not slotted) and correct gaskets in stock.
I might have pictures that I can scan.

-
Back