Starter Relay wire question.

-

Troub

67 Dart 270, 225 slant six
Reaction score
Greetings!
Removed my starter relay today (67 Dart 270 S/6) and get all the wires except the smaller red one that goes to the battery along with the Big ole red wire. I've stated before that I'm electrically challenged so my reading of the wiring diagram leads me to think it has something to do with the high beams? No laughing if that is way off!! I'm glad that the other wires look to be original and going to their correct locations. The pic is the relay turned upside down. It's so covered with crap that I'm surprised it works at all..... any help on small red wire is appreciated.

IMG_1358.JPG

The one pointing downwards is factory and comes from the fuse link I think

The other has been added. I don't have a crystal ball so I have no idea what it's for. About all you can do is follow it and find out where it goes and post back..........

You said the additional (small red) wire goes TO the battery? Hmm
I used to run a similar constant HOT wire to the aftermarket radios to keep the clock and station pre-sets when the ignition was turned off.
Disconnect it (tape it if its from the battery) and see if it starts, then ck the lights.
joe

Wires all look factory circuits but the small one from the battery was improperly replaced.
It should be 10 gage red wire. That's the main wire for supplying power to the car when the alternator is not (such as when starting).
See if you can read this simplified diagram.
'67 Barracuda Charging System Diagram
You may find some slight differences but '67 Valiant, and Dart wiring are very similar to the Barracuda.

Charging-diagram67B-ALTr3.PNG

Last edited:
What happened is they replaced the battery cable and the parts store replacement only has a short lead coming off the terminal, they extended it with a piece of wire that is too small.

edit: nothing to do with headlights, it is suppose to be there, just should be 10awg.

Alan

Yes you can see it has been spliced in there.
Perhaps the factory F-link failed and they bypassed it ;
then installed this looks-like-14ga wire to be the temporary F-link.
Edit in bold: for clarity of reading

Last edited:
Yes you can see it has been spliced in there.
Perhaps the factory F-link failed and they bypassed it, then installed this looks-like-14ga wire to be the temporary F-link.
That is not where the Fusible Link is on a 67, it is at the bulkhead connector.

Alan

My recollection is the connector at the stud was originally a ring terminal. Advantage of a ring terminal is more surface in contact and a very positive connection.
A good place to buy a ring terminal, but connector, and a foot or two of 10 gage wire is a marine/boating supply store. Marine wire is slightly heavier than SAE and has tin coating so less likely to corrode. Also, marine wire has insulation suitable for oil/fuel environments as well as the heat of engine compartment.

Wires all look factory circuits but the small one from the battery was improperly replaced.
It should be 10 gage red wire. That's the main wire for supplying power to the car when the alternator is not (such as when starting).
See if you can read this simplified diagram.
'67 Barracuda Charging System Diagram
You may find some slight differences but '67 Valiant, and Dart wiring are very similar to the Barracuda.
This is what it should look like... View attachment 1715210689

Alan

Thanks for posting that. That push on/ flag connector HAS to go if that is what it is re: the OP

Thanks to all for the replies. So if I'm reading everyone right, I'm good except for the red wire from the battery being undersized and need to replace with 10 guage. After cleaning the crud off, the relay looks to be in good shape with all connecting points solid and rust free. The crud may have acted as a preservative.

-
Back