Starter removal!!

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I pulled the motor out of my dart last weekend and fought with the starter for way way to long trying to get the inspection plate off. Is there a trick I am missing? Where can I get a mini starter for a small block?

If you have headers it's a really tight fit.

Head down to the local parts store and ask for astarter for a 95 dodge Dakota with a V8. I believe they list a 318 for the Dakota. I just picked one up last week. It weighs 8lbs and is half the size. Install was a breeze.

You can essentially get a starter from any dodge truck or van from 89-00 with a V8, I went with that year Dakota because it was the best price. :)

If on a budget,head to the picknpull,look for Dakota,s and pull the cleanest mini starter you find...much cheaper.JMO

You will need to slightly modify the terminals but they work.

Some come with a little adapter "deal" on the terminals. You can unbolt that, and "get down" to the native studs / nuts.

The one I got was a direct bolt on. The terminals were just studs with nuts.

The one I used was off a 91 dodge Ram 1500 and the small wire was at a very slightly different angle and had a smaller hole for the stud that I had to enlarge just a bit.
I just split the plastic connector where the wires attach to the starter and hooked it up.
No problem at all.

The 'ol Dakota (or equiv) starter swap is a very worthwhile "upgrade" in my book. Will out-spin a gear reduction unit all day. Sure like it with my BB.

Thanks for this, I found it on a search. Went to the auto parts store ,picked up one for a 95 dakota and it fits perfect. Did have to take the header off (AGAIN) and the driver side motor mount bolt and jack the side of the motor up, but all done.

I forget which way it is because I have had a mini starter on my car for a while, but try turning the steering wheel all the way to the passenger side and it should give you more room to get the starter out.....If that gives less room then try it the other way...I forget which way it is, driver side or passenger side....getting old sucks, lol.

If on a budget,head to the picknpull,look for Dakota,s and pull the cleanest mini starter you find...much cheaper.JMO

That's the route I took. Paid $25 for mine and it had a 6 month warranty. Someone pulled the engine and just left the starter dangling there by the wires so it took all of a minute for me to take it off the truck. It fit my Dart perfectly and works like a charm.

-
Back