Starter Removal

-
here's the adapter that was on the ministarter I've been using
1706315147669.png

Top of the protective cover snaps off
1706315192151.png

Terminal extenders and adapters available from ASP. Pay close attention. Some change the mounting bolt size. ;)

1706315801812.png

Last edited:
My little wire connector is to small for the small bolt on the starter

You could try drilling out the small terminal, but that's not easily done.

I would replace the terminal with one that fits on the stud. Not sure if you have the equipment, but you can probably pick up kit with a wire stripper, and some different size terminals. Also helps to have shrink tubing instead of black tape!

Screenshot_20240126_193148_Chrome~2.jpg

Screenshot_20240126_193832_Chrome~2.jpg

Are 95 an earlier years starters the same as 96 an up, because if so 95 an earlier comes with connection adapter that relocates the terminal connection

They are a little chewed up, Hoping for the best
You could try drilling out the small terminal, but that's not easily done.

I would replace the terminal with one that fits on the stud. Not sure if you have the equipment, but you can probably pick up kit with a wire stripper, and some different size terminals. Also helps to have shrink tubing instead of black tape!

View attachment 1716197963

View attachment 1716197964
I do have all that..that way as one of my options

All I can say is good luck!! I used to have to pull my headers when I'd change it on my 69 Charger. Of course, it had header bolts so I got a nice antifreeze bath to go with the job every time. (I was a slow learner!) By all means, I highly recommend using a mini starter. They are amazingly easier to install/remove and they spin these engines way better than the old moose starters. Now you won't get the arm and shoulder workout like the old starter but....

Jack the motor up on the driver side and turn the wheel as others have mentioned. You'll find a way to get it out doing that.
Ditto. I had to do the exact same when removing my starter from my 340 and I have a mini starter also. The biggest problem I had was removing the electrical clip connector on the top of the starter while the starter was still mounted.

Also might need a bushing for the top bolt if you dont have the correct shoulder bolt. Ive snapped 2 starters due to it having slop in top bolt no matter how tight you think you have it.
Shoulder bolt? Can't ever remember seeing a shoulder bolt on a Mopar starter.
A stud in one retainer to the bellhousing and a bolt on the other? Yeah. Held in by random bolts out of my bolt bin? Yup. Never had an issue. Other than 7/16" bolts aren't as common anymore. So scrounging for one can be the hardest part of replacing a starter on one.

I save that wiring adapter off of every one of those starters that I can. I've gotten them from the local starter rebuilding shop a few times, seems like they always have them laying around

Shoulder bolt? Can't ever remember seeing a shoulder bolt on a Mopar starter.
A stud in one retainer to the bellhousing and a bolt on the other? Yeah. Held in by random bolts out of my bolt bin? Yup. Never had an issue. Other than 7/16" bolts aren't as common anymore. So scrounging for one can be the hardest part of replacing a starter on one.
on the mini starters one hole is larger that the other but have same size mounting holes on tranny.. it needs a bushing to match or a shoulder bolt. Either works, they sell the bushings but i just made my own.

-
Back