Starting a BB Duster project

-
That wasn't too bad. Picked the engine up with the crane and dropped it in. Slid right in even with the deep pan. Had to crank the angle up on the pivot plate but that is what it is for. Looks good in there, now I can take some measurements and see what I need for a radiator and driveshaft and stuff like that.

DSC_0950 (Large).JPG

DSC_0954 (Large).JPG

DSC_0958 (Large).JPG

DSC_0961 (Large).JPG

I dropped it back on the ground to see what the ride height looks like and how much ground clearance I have for the oil pan. Oil pan hangs down there a bit, not sure if I'll change the pan or not. Look like I need to dent the pan (or modify it) for the center link. At full lock to the right the center link hits the pan.

The hood scoop has plenty of clearance for the tall air cleaner so that is nice. I'd like to run a 4 or 5 inch element with an engine that makes this much power.

DSC_0965 (Large).JPG

I dropped it back on the ground to see what the ride height looks like and how much ground clearance I have for the oil pan. Oil pan hangs down there a bit, not sure if I'll change the pan or not. Look like I need to dent the pan (or modify it) for the center link. At full lock to the right the center link hits the pan.

The hood scoop has plenty of clearance for the tall air cleaner so that is nice. I'd like to run a 4 or 5 inch element with an engine that makes this much power.

View attachment 1715073183
Andy, was it you that said the air raid filter tops messed up flow paths? Can`t remember where I read it------Bob

Working on the interior today. This car is gutted so now I just need to put back what I'm going to use. No rust and I don't really need to make any repairs so it should go fairly smooth.

DSC_0987 (Large).JPG

cool, pretty interesting what this engine can do with the A-Body. I like your project, thanks for sharing!

Michael

That's gonna rip. This should be even better than the engine build articles

Did you make that engine plate or buy it?

That is kind of a funny question but the answer is that you can buy that same motor plate from Mancini Racing or Hughes Engines. Part number is AR146 for the big block A body plate.

That is kind of a funny question but the answer is that you can buy that same motor plate from Mancini Racing or Hughes Engines. Part number is AR146 for the big block A body plate.
Thanks for the info.

I'm in Salem myself and have seen several 187 c body oil pans listed on Craigslist locally for like $75. It's the same thing we are running on our big block duster. Of course I'm sure you are aware of wildcat wrecking yard in Sandy Oregon. They sell pans for $125 all day long. A bit pricey, but cheaper than the new ones they are selling on 440 source.

Do you plan on putting the or reconnecting the roll bar? love the build so far.

I'm going to cut the cage out and replace it with a 5 point roll bar.

I lucked out a couple years ago and got he last engine cradle you made from mancini racing....worth every dollar! Best engine cradle I have ever had!

I like this duster project, looking forward to seeing more progress on it.

I lucked out a couple years ago and got he last engine cradle you made from mancini racing....worth every dollar! Best engine cradle I have ever had!

I like this duster project, looking forward to seeing more progress on it.

I stopped making the engine cradles but Mazzolini Racing copied them and I think they have them for sale. US Car Tool also has the design but I don't think they have them for sale yet.

I had the car for sale on Moparts but nobody was interested. I just wanted the car gone so I could focus on other projects. I figured $4900 was a killer deal. I was willing to throw in all of the stock interior parts and the spare hood, spare bumpers, dash, etc. But no takers so I'm going to put it together and run it and then try to sell it again.

These deals are never there when you need them! Great project, will be fun!

I am amazed at how big the engine bay is in a duster ! Way bigger than my fish.
I don't think a Duster is any bigger than a Cuda, might be an optical illusion since I shot the picture with a wide angle lens.

What is the rear rim/tire combo? Looks very good.
What is the hood scoop from? Do you have different angle shots?

The rear tires are 345/50-15 drag radials. I don't think anyone makes that size anymore. I'm not sure on the rims, maybe 15x10 but I suppose they could be larger. I do not know where the hood scoop came from, it was with the car when I bought it.

-
Back