Starting issues

-

Owen Diaz

Reaction score
I have a 69 dart with a 360 engine in it been starting up fine until a couple days ago it just decided to not start up recently changed the starter and battery is new the ignition cylinder comes right out nothing seems to be locking it in but it’s been like that since I bought the car so I’m not sure if that’s the issue I jumped the starter and it starts right up hoping you guys could tell me where I should start looking

IMG_5938.jpeg

IMG_0347.jpeg

IMG_0184.jpeg

So if you jumper the relay by the battery it will turn over and fire with the key in Run?

"Not start."

So what does it actually do?

Does it crank on the starter, using the key?

Does it crank but not fire and run?

Or does it not crank unless you jumper the starter relay?

TERMINOLOGY:

"Crank" or "turn over." This means the engine properly rotates on the starter when the key is twisted, or if not, when the relay is jumpered

FIRE: Means engine coughs, barks, tries to run, or may start and stay running if only for a second or more

RUN: Self explanatory. Engine fires and continues to run, not necessarily smooth and proper sounding.

"Not start."

So what does it actually do?

Does it crank on the starter, using the key?

Does it crank but not fire and run?

Or does it not crank unless you jumper the starter relay?

TERMINOLOGY:

"Crank" or "turn over." This means the engine properly rotates on the starter when the key is twisted, or if not, when the relay is jumpered

FIRE: Means engine coughs, barks, tries to run, or may start and stay running if only for a second or more

RUN: Self explanatory. Engine fires and continues to run, not necessarily smooth and proper sounding.
Doesn’t crank unless i jump the starter relay

OK now we are getting somewhere.

Is this a stick or automatic?

If automatic, the neutral start switch is on the transmission. Three wires, the center wire leads up to one of the two "push on" flag terminals on the start relay. That terminal is grounded by the transmission switch in park or neutral

First, hold key to start while moving the shifter from park to neutral/ reverse and back. See if it tries to crank, or if you hear a click.

Next, take a meter/ test lamp and identify which of the two "push on" wires on the start relay is the start voltage from the key. This is often yellow. Ciip your meter on and twist the key. Should have power with key in "start." If so, reconnect, and now disconnect the dark wire on the remaining push on/ flag terminal. Jumper that to ground and make certain the car is in park, see if it cranks

If you have power on the yellow, and it won't crank with the other flag terminal grounded, you have a bad start relay

If you have a stick, the start relay normally only has ONE push on/ flag terminal, and what would have been the other is soldered to the case--which must be grounded.

If automatic, the neutral start switch is on the transmission. Three wires, the center wire leads up to one of the two "push on" flag terminals on the start relay. That terminal is grounded by the transmission switch in park or neutral

First, hold key to start while moving the shifter from park to neutral/ reverse and back. See if it tries to crank, or if you hear a click.

Next, take a meter/ test lamp and identify which of the two "push on" wires on the start relay is the start voltage from the key. This is often yellow. Ciip your meter on and twist the key. Should have power with key in "start." If so, reconnect, and now disconnect the dark wire on the remaining push on/ flag terminal. Jumper that to ground and make certain the car is in park, see if it cranks

If you have power on the yellow, and it won't crank with the other flag terminal grounded, you have a bad start relay

If you have a stick, the start relay normally only has ONE push on/ flag terminal, and what would have been the other is soldered to the case--which must

If you have a stick, the start relay normally only has ONE push on/ flag terminal, and what would have been the other is soldered to the case--which must be grounded.
i

I’ve tried to start it in park and neutral before and have heard a click will probably do everything else you said tomorrow and see if it’s the starter relay thank you very much for this info I’ll keep you updated

-
Back