Starting line rpm enhancer for foot brake.

-

rick4106

Reaction score
A friend of mine told me a couple of racers are using a idle stop solenoid to hold steady rpm while staging in foot brake. Anyone use this?

The advantage would be leaving at the same RPM every pass & not having to look the tach to stage.

I would only see that being accepted at races that allow a 2-step, as it basically does the same thing. None of the footbrake races I run allow 2-steps so that device would be frowned upon. Interesting idea though. If someone wasn't paying attention nobody would notice because the engine wouldn't be studdering like if it was on a 2-step.

I would only see that being accepted at races that allow a 2-step, as it basically does the same thing. None of the footbrake races I run allow 2-steps so that device would be frowned upon. Interesting idea though. If someone wasn't paying attention nobody would notice because the engine wouldn't be studdering like if it was on a 2-step.

My thoughts exactly.
No stutter, hard to find unless the hood is off.

You could sell that as a anti-dieseling solenoid if asked. :)

Your absolutely right..no electronics in footbrake classes..so in other words running that device is CHEATING...

This is just off the top of my head, and I'm sure someone has already done it.

I would have to sit down and think it out for a little bit, but I'm sure that you could take a choke cable and incorporate some type of "stop" on it so that when pulled it would open the throttle to the same position each time.

Pull up to the line, pre stage, pull out the choke cable while bumping in with the brake.

Would have to still go down on the gas and off the brake when the light turned green, but that method would at least let you stage at the same RPM each time without having to watch a tach.

This would pass tech in a true footbrake class with no electronics.

All good in theory, but would need mapped out and refined to work just right.

Like I said, this is just off the top off my head. Have not put any thought into the engineering of it, and will not since I can legally run a 2 step

I call it an idle up solenoid. Just like for your ac. Advantage is correct. Same rpm everytime. It is not illegal. There is no electronics involved. Just turn your ac on even though there is no compressor. Modify the bracket holding said solenoid to achieve desired rpm. Imp no different than using a shift light. These are aids to the driver. There is no electronics or computer doing your job. Just like a play back tach is not illegal. Now I have been out of bracket racing for 5 years, but this were the rules then . Idle up solenoid, nothing wrong with it.

It called FOOTBRAKE class for a reason they're trusting that your footbraking the car..any device that holds the rpms should be considered CHEATING!!..then again maybe some guys don't know how to launch a car..

A friend of mine told me a couple of racers are using a idle stop solenoid to hold steady rpm while staging in foot brake. Anyone use this?
This would be classified as cheating with an electronic devise,as the solenoid needs electronics to work.JMO

By some of the comments I have read. Would you consider a line lock illegal. It operates with electronics. NHRA doesn't. Play back tachs. NHRA doesn't Just curious. And how much advantage are you really gaining with a solenoid. You still have to cut a light. You still have to shift right. Your car still has to be consistent. Whether you use your foot or a solenoid to hold rpm at the line. BIG DEAL. You still have so many other variables to contend with. And I even haven't talked about the biggest variable the WEATHER!

All depends on track. Some tracks run no box. Some air or electric shifter is legal.

It called FOOTBRAKE class for a reason they're trusting that your footbraking the car..any device that holds the rpms should be considered CHEATING!!..then again maybe some guys don't know how to launch a car..

I thought it was called Footbrake because you have to use the footbrake to hold the car at the line instead of a transbrake.

I agree that the idle solenoid could be viewed as cheating in a no electronics class by some.

However, something mechanical such as a PTO or choke cable that sets the starting line RPM would be perfectly legal and without a doubt SHOULD NOT be considered cheating. A man should not be penalized for being able to out think his competition within the confines of the rule book.

There are only 2 things that setting the RPM manually would do.

1. Lets the driver pay full attention to the tree, and not have to watch the tach until the last minute. This will most likely turn into cutting better lights by taking a variable away.

2. Helps make consistent 60' times which are the foundation of consistent ET'S. Done because the car leaves at the exact same RPM every time, instead of being off from one round to the next because you had to take your eyes off of the tach.

As already said, you still have to "swap feet" when you leave the line, so the real intent of the footbrake class is still there.

Its all about being innovative and staying ahead of the other guys.

People look at rules in different ways. When most look at them, they see a list of things not allowed. When others look at them, they see it as anything that is not on the list, is allowed.

Those are the guys who will win the majority of the races.

71gtdart AMEN. When the NHRA rule book doesn't have a rule about what you are doing its legal. Prime example nobody has brought up. In street class the rules says your tire has to be dot approved. So manufactures made slicks with two lines only 1/8" wide to get the dot certification. Now we all know this is not a street tire but THEY ARE NOT ILLEGAL to race in that class. So if I want to do something to my car and it's not against the rules that have been written out by NHRA, witch updates every year, go for it.

I agree! Give me a even shot at the tree...I'll beat your brain's out. :)

This would be classified as cheating with an electronic devise,as the solenoid needs electronics to work.JMO

I agree, again. :thumbrig:

By some of the comments I have read. Would you consider a line lock illegal. It operates with electronics. NHRA doesn't. Play back tachs. NHRA doesn't Just curious. And how much advantage are you really gaining with a solenoid. You still have to cut a light. You still have to shift right. Your car still has to be consistent. Whether you use your foot or a solenoid to hold rpm at the line. BIG DEAL. You still have so many other variables to contend with. And I even haven't talked about the biggest variable the WEATHER!
At the 6 tracks I race at it is illegal to use a line lock at the starting line or have one hooked to a button.(It has to be on a toggle switch). That is if you want to run in the foot brake class.The other class is Pro class and electronics are allowed and trans brakes.

Sounds to me like the sanctioning body has not addressed this
in a non interpretable way or the techs are not doing their jobs inspecting.

Could it be considered a throttle stop, maybe set up mechanically
like a fast idle cam on a choke system but with or without the flap?

Sounds to me like the sanctioning body has not addressed this
in a non interpretable way or the techs are not doing their jobs inspecting.
Could it be considered a throttle stop, maybe set up
like a fast idle cam on a choke system.

I could see the idle solenoid being considered not legal , but not a throttle stop. If I was in the class and I knew another racer had the idle solenoid, I would not say a word. Mainly because I would be using something mechanical to do the same thing.

Difference being that one is debatable as illegal, and the other is black and white not illegal.

I would say that it would depend on the track and who was doing tech, as to if the solenoid is illegal. If you had that setup you most likely would run into problems if you raced at multiple tracks.

I race at 2 tracks in my local area, the nhra track calls the footbrake class NO BOX, allowing 2 steps & transbrakes & line locks, the IHRA track calls it non electronics, no 2 step or transbrakes allowed, im old school, true footbrake, we are racing for enjoyment, u will not win enough money to support your habit:D

I race at 2 tracks in my local area, the nhra track calls the footbrake class NO BOX, allowing 2 steps & transbrakes & line locks, the IHRA track calls it non electronics, no 2 step or transbrakes allowed, im old school, true footbrake, we are racing for enjoyment, u will not win enough money to support your habit:D
all the tracks in my area allow that (0-13.99) when i used it i would pre stage flip my switch bump the throttle, it was set at 1200 then start to bump in with my foot resting on the throttle, what do you think this guy is doing [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeWOtiYrAas"]American Bracket Racer Episode 1 - YouTube[/ame]

He pre stages, looks at his tach to get the rpm where he wants, then lights the full stage bulb. Nothing fancy, just his routine.

On a side note, thanks for sharing that. I've subscribed to follow his season.

Isn't footbraking just that, footbraking as opposed to trans brake.

-
Back