starting problem

-

1mean7Ddart

Reaction score
Im a bit confused on why my car wont start up. Im running MSD-6AL-2 Ignition Control to a MSD distributor, I did a spark test and it dose have spark. checked the carb and i have fuel. motor cranks over just like normal but never fires up. i also switched out the battery for one that im 100% positive works, and still the same problem:banghead: Am I forgetting to check something

any advice would be very helpful

Explain exactly what you are doing EXACTLY when you are checking spark?

are you using the key to crank the engine, or are you jumpering across the starter relay?

Did this ever run, or did you just now install it?

If new, how did you set up the timing?

Are the plugs wet? Did you check spark at the plug(s)?

Does it never start? Or just sometimes?

When it cranks can you hear it trying to start? Or is it just the starter spinning away?

As for the batteries, I know you mention you swapped them, but did you make sure they were charged first? It might sound stupid but the little things like that will catch you. My ignition box needs a solid 9 volts to start and gives me trouble if I haven't run it in a while or don't run it long enough sometimes.

Not firing is really only ever no/not enough fuel or no/not enough spark or spark in the wrong time. This might be a little ahead of the game but what about timing and such?

Explain exactly what you are doing EXACTLY when you are checking spark?

are you using the key to crank the engine, or are you jumpering across the starter relay?

Did this ever run, or did you just now install it?

If new, how did you set up the timing?

Are the plugs wet? Did you check spark at the plug(s)?

Yes using the key. Car ran fine about two weeks ago. then went to start it a couple of days ago and nothin. No I havant checked the plugs to see if there wet going to check first thing tomorrow. And on the spark test i first used and Inline Spark Tester and then i did as instructed by msd troubleshooting site

CHECKING FOR SPARK
If triggering the ignition with the White or White/Blue
wire:
1. Make sure the ignition switch is in the “Off” position.
2. Remove the coil wire from the distributor cap and
set the terminal approximately 1/2" from ground.
3. Disconnect the MSD trigger wire (White or White/
Blue) from the distributor.
4. Turn the ignition to the On position. Do not crank
the engine.
5. Tap the White wire to ground several times. Each
time you pull the wire from ground, a spark should
jump from the coil wire to ground. If spark is
present, the ignition is working properly.

Does it never start? Or just sometimes?

When it cranks can you hear it trying to start? Or is it just the starter spinning away?

As for the batteries, I know you mention you swapped them, but did you make sure they were charged first? It might sound stupid but the little things like that will catch you. My ignition box needs a solid 9 volts to start and gives me trouble if I haven't run it in a while or don't run it long enough sometimes.

Not firing is really only ever no/not enough fuel or no/not enough spark or spark in the wrong time. This might be a little ahead of the game but what about timing and such?

no when i turn the key starter cranks the engine but no sight of it puttering as if there was no fuel or spark. At first i thought it was a bad battery so went down to the auto parts and they told me it was good. installed it and same bs, so i took the battery out of my work truck and again same bs:banghead:

That MSD instruction only tells you the ignition is working to the cap, it doesnt prove its making it past the cap. Check fire at a plug. You could have a bad cap, bad carbon contact in the cap or a grounded distributor (spark goes to ground). Also the starter circuit in a Mopar can play tricks on you. Turn key to RUN and jump starter solenoid with a screwdriver. You may have a hosed ignition switch. Are you running a ballast resistor? I work in Wilmington a few times a week, PM me your address and cell, maybe I can swing by if its on the east side.

What shape is the motor in? Is the timing chain good, decent compression? Are the plug gaps correct?

That MSD instruction only tells you the ignition is working to the cap, it doesnt prove its making it past the cap. Check fire at a plug. You could have a bad cap, bad carbon contact in the cap or a grounded distributor (spark goes to ground). Also the starter circuit in a Mopar can play tricks on you. Turn key to RUN and jump starter solenoid with a screwdriver. You may have a hosed ignition switch. Are you running a ballast resistor? I work in Wilmington a few times a week, PM me your address and cell, maybe I can swing by if its on the east side.

yes i checked with a spark plug tester but im going to take the plugs out next. yes Im running a ballast resistor. im going to check all this out tomorrow. No I live on the north side. sound good ill pm you if im still having trouble after this weekend

How about the distributor pickup? Have you checked for spark while cranking the engine? Made any wiring changes?

If the plugs are known-to-be-good, and if the firing order was correct and if the dizzy was spinning in loc-step with the cam,and if the fire was making it all the way to the plugs,at the correct time, and if the cam was correctly spinning with the crank,and if all the valves were doing what they are supposed to, at the supposed time,and if the pistons were able to do their part,and if there was a combustable charge in the chambers, well then I guess it should start.
But if there is water in the mainjets, well that stuff doesn't lite, even for Mr. MSD

no when i turn the key starter cranks the engine but no sight of it puttering as if there was no fuel or spark. At first i thought it was a bad battery so went down to the auto parts and they told me it was good. installed it and same bs, so i took the battery out of my work truck and again same bs:banghead:

It seems like you keep focusing on spark. Are you sure the engine is getting fuel? You can see it dump down the intake? If it is, and you're sure its gas and not varnish from an old tank or a shitty filter. Then all that's really left is spark.

You say you're running a ballast resistor, are you sure its good? Did you spark the spark plugs against the valve cover to see what colour spark you're getting? It's an old school test I've never had to do but I've heard its a gooder. If you're getting spark I'd think your dist is 180 out.

^^Yup^^ Boils down to the "three basics"

Fuel, Spark, and Compression

1....Compression.......meaning even if the engine is in rough shape "enough to run" including in that correct cam timing. Cam timing here is probably not an issue. "Probably" at that low mileage, neither is compression. Does the starter "sound" normal? If you are used to the sound of your cranking engine, you can usually get a feel for that

2....Spark.....A good hot spark, and at the right TIME You can check timing with a light "on the starter."

3....Fuel.......Not too much, not too little, and GOOD fuel, meaning, not sour, and no water or "other stuff." I've fired engines with NO carb on the intake, just to see if they would fire. About a teaspoon of fuel right into the intake. VRROOOM!!!

Thank you everyone for all the advice turns out it was a fuel problem, clogged up fuel filter! Gas was spitting out the carb but I guess it wasn't enough to fire.

Called it haha. When you kept focusing on spark I figured we had to get back to basics. You'd be amazed how often something like filling up the gas tank will fix your problems. I was actually going to suggest starter fluid next. Nothing makes an engine fire like dumping starting fluid down it while turning it. Usually makes for a good bang to.

With a shitty filter I'd check your gas tank, make sure its not full of sludge. Modern gas with its ethanol percentage goes bad in like 6 months now. You should see what crap carbs are full of after sitting for a bit.

Glad its running!

-
Back