starting slant 6

-

rdb

Reaction score
Well, even tho new '64 Dart is 50 yrs old, it's also my first automatic!

Been driving the '94 Accord wagon so long (it's nearing 400K miles) that I forgot whatever I did in the 70s to cold start the original '64 dart. We (you) have pretty much determined it is a newer slant w/ a different carb/linkage/acclerator than it originally had. I know you press the acclerator but it's different for different cars.. 1/2 down, all the down, before you turn the key, while you turn the key, etc

So what is best for cold starting this w/o flooding ?

thanks -- temps are falling here in maryland

Best way: First time; remove air cleaner, watch carb as you depress pedal. This should close choke and squirt a shot of gas into engine. Release pedal. Crank engine. If this works, repeat each restart when cold. If not, try depressing pedal while cranking. One will work. never underestimate the power of experimentation.

I just pump the crap out of the gas pedal while cranking. If you flood it, floor it and crank until it catches, then pump a little more as it gets going.

Floor it twice and hit the key with no more input from your foot has worked for me for years...

post #2 is the ideal factory method. It is critical that your choke is adjusted correctly, and that your choke pull-off (unloader) works. Most old ones have a torn diaphragm, making cold starts frustrating. Test it with a vacuum pump or push in, block the vaccum hole w/ your finger and see if it stays in.

-
Back