Starts in gear

-

grassy

Reaction score
Folks,

Moved over from column shift to console shift. Before, the car had to in park or neutral
to start...now I can start in all gears..

How do I make it go back to the old way...won't pass safety if not..

Thanks

since we have no clue what we are working on....

all mopar have a nuetral safety switch on the side of the transmission....your linkage is problem not adjust correctly or someone bypassed the switch....

the starter relay switch has a G terminal that sends a wire to the NSS....went the trans is in neutral or park...the NSS grounds itself allowing the engine to turn over....

if it is starting in all gear...then the Starter relay is receiving a ground all the time...either thru the NSS or bypassed to ground

The circled terminal in my pic is where the center wire (brown) from the NSS should connect to. No other wire should be connected to this. If you have the brown wire connected here then there is probably a problem with the NSS and alignment.

View attachment NSS.jpg

since we have no clue what we are working on....

all mopar have a nuetral safety switch on the side of the transmission....your linkage is problem not adjust correctly or someone bypassed the switch....

the starter relay switch has a G terminal that sends a wire to the NSS....went the trans is in neutral or park...the NSS grounds itself allowing the engine to turn over....

if it is starting in all gear...then the Starter relay is receiving a ground all the time...either thru the NSS or bypassed to ground

It is at the bottom of my question.

No linkage at all. I have gone from a column shift to a B&M cable shifter. Should have stated that. Sorry.

I do have the wires coming up from the transmission.

Straight, so connection the brown wire should cure this problem ?

There is a NSS kit available for your shifter from the manufacturer. It bolts to the shifter itself. Maybe came in the kit. You will need to route the NSS wire to the shifter, then to the starter relay. Should be directions on their website.

BTW, the factory schematic indicates that this wire is brown-yellow. There are also 2 black wires from the NSS but those are for the back-up lights.

If you have an ohmeter, you can check the NSS for proper operation. Check resistance with one ohmeter lead to the brown-yellow wire at the upper end (in the engine compartment) and the other to chassis ground/battery -. It should be near to 0 ohms with the trannie in park or neutral, and very, very high resistance (essentially infinite, or an open circuit) when in any gear.

It sounds like the G terminal indicated on the starter relay has been grounded; otherwise, it would never start. You need to remove any such ground when you hook up the brown-yellow wire from the NSS.

Straight, so connection the brown wire should cure this problem ?

Sorry as stated, yes it is a Brown/yellow wire. It comes from the center terminal on the NSS to that circled terminal. There should be nothing else spliced into the wire. To and From only.

There is a NSS kit available for your shifter from the manufacturer. It bolts to the shifter itself. Maybe came in the kit. You will need to route the NSS wire to the shifter, then to the starter relay. Should be directions on their website.

This is also true. You can use the switch that came with the shifter, but since you need the other 2 wires from the NSS on the trans for the back up lights I would just use that. I installed one of them that came with the shifter and it seemed to always move and I would have to pull the cover and readjust the micro switch. Your choice which to use. Either will work.

BTW, the factory schematic indicates that this wire is brown-yellow. There are also 2 black wires from the NSS but those are for the back-up lights.

If you have an ohmeter, you can check the NSS for proper operation. Check resistance with one ohmeter lead to the brown-yellow wire at the upper end (in the engine compartment) and the other to chassis ground/battery -. It should be near to 0 ohms with the trannie in park or neutral, and very, very high resistance (essentially infinite, or an open circuit) when in any gear.

It sounds like the G terminal indicated on the starter relay has been grounded; otherwise, it would never start. You need to remove any such ground when you hook up the brown-yellow wire from the NSS.

Good info here as well. That terminal is being grounded somewhere somehow.. You have to find out what and where and fix that.

Did you try pulling off the circled wire from the starter relay? If it still cranks, something is wrong with the relay. If not, then find why that wire (should be one wire) is getting grounded when it shouldn't. We assume you have an automatic tranny. I know we could browse to your car's page like detectives, but we won't.

-
Back