-
Status
Not open for further replies.

forced 340

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
hey guys. i am going to be in need of a set of rings (STD bore), rod+main bearings(STD). i just picked up a 1970 340 that was pulled from a wreaked 70 swinger back in 1978. it has never been apart! the 340 has been sitting in a climate controlled shop covered and sealed since then. she turns over great! i havent done a leak down or tore it down yet but i just want to see if anyone had anything laying around. thanks guys!

I have a set of new King rod and main bearings in std and also a set of 340 std MP NOS rings but for whatever reason, the oil rings are missing. Let me know if that helps.

Ken
Edison, NJ

I would tear it down and check it out before buying bearings. JMO.. Just because it turns over nice don't mean the crank is not going to need to be turned. I have torn apart MANY good running engines that needed to be bored and have the cranks turned. If Im putting it back together tolerances are going to be true and it is not going to have scores in the surfaces. Also I have seen factory engines that were .010/.010 under on the crank stamped w the motese cross, and being .020 over on the bore.

X2 on pulling it down and checking everything out before buying any parts...

I have a set of std rings for a 340. I think they are Speed Pro plasma moly. Do you know what size the ring thickness is? Asking $50 shipped.

i tore it down over the weekend and it looks very good! its got to be low miles. hardly and wear on the bearings. the rings are weak but the walls look great! i want to go ahead and put new bearings and rings in it. i am taking it apart anyways to clean and paint it so i may as well. everything is standard sizes (i measured everything just to be sure). i am short on funds right now so you guys that respond with parts please bear with me while i gather funds. thanks guys!

If the bearings are not showing any copper color and they're not chafed or dinged up, clean them with some Scotchbrite and WD40 and stick them back in. I always prefer good, seasoned bearings to new.

When you reinstall used bearings, make sure you GENTLY spread them so they sit in their bores snugly. New bearings are manufactured with just the slightest bit of distortion so that they grip the walls of their bores and provide true oil clearance all the way around. You'll know the right tension when you can install the upper rod shell and tap the piston home without the shell falling out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back