Steering box help

-

Dirtmod08

Reaction score
I have a 67 Barracuda with power steering. I'm putting a Saginaw pump on. My question is...which fitting on top of the box is the high pressure? I assume the barbed fitting on the front is the return? I need to put a -6AN fitting on the high pressure port. If it's the rear inverted flare port, what is the fitting size that goes in the box? 1/2" 20??? Thanks if you know, or correct me if I'm wrong.

The return is the barbed fitting not sure on the flare nut size for the pressure line but believe it to be a 5/8-18

Last edited:
The pressure line has hard line ends and fittings which attaches to the top of the control valve, the return line connects to a barb fitting on the rear of the control valve with a simple hose and hose clamps.

Yes the fwd port is the return. It is a removable aluminum fitting w 2 bolts. You could swap in one from a later box to match the smaller (recall) hose size of the Saginaw pump. Similarly, you can swap the HP port (maybe whole top block, forget). As I recall, the HP fitting at the pump varied, being inverted flare in TRW pump, SAE flare in Federal ("Chrysler") pump (your 1968 I think), and O-ring in later Saginaw pump, but don't quote me. You must be doing a custom hose w AN fittings. I would stick w/ the O-ring fitting since seals best. Your 1968 HP hose likely changed sizes via an Inline crimped coupler.

-
Back