Steering Column Help

-

skybolt

Reaction score
Need step by step with photos if possible to disassemble a column shift column on a 1970 Duster to replace the upper housings with floor shift housings. Also, can I remove the shift tube upon reassembly?

Trying to load the pages (PDF files) you need to an e-mail. No luck yet but will see what I can do. I can view and print them and thats it, otherwise I would send them to you.

It's really pretty easy. Mostly swapping parts. Someone on this board or BBD claimed they reassembled without the shift tube but I see no way to do this since the lower section ("collar") of the column mounts to the shift tube.

I have pics of the reassembly process here:

http://70duster440.com/interior.html

And this from FSM: http://70duster440.com/column.PDF

Thanks 70Duster440. Exactly the same info I was trying to send, right down to the page numbers. We must have the same CD.

Are your color matched bumpers steel or f/glas?

Very nice car by the way.

duster 440 thats great. but i see you removed the lock plate on top . i drove the pin from the bottem and removed it from the top. but i see you installed from bottem up?als mines a no power steering car and my lock out was a power car shafts are differant.

Are your color matched bumpers steel or f/glas?

Steel - thanks.

but i see you removed the lock plate on top . i drove the pin from the bottem and removed it from the top. but i see you installed from bottem up?als mines a no power steering car and my lock out was a power car shafts are differant.

Mine was a power steering column. Not sure what you mean by the lock plate and pin. Everything was fully disassembled, cleaned, and painted and then reassembled by mixing and matching parts from my original column shift column and a donor floor shift column. And I don't recall now if I installed the shaft from the bottom for a particular reason or not.

the lock plate is the round thing on top that won,t let the wheel turn when key is off or out. the pin is close to the box and the sliders go on it for the coupler at the box . i removed mine from the bottom up.i removed the pin and removed it out the top, but if i remove the top or lock plate i can install from the box side of the column. and won,t have to remove as much i hope. thanks for the pic,s. als

here is what i mean by lock plate and sec is where the pin is.als

20090926_3.jpg

20090926_4.jpg

-
Back