Steering Column Install

-

Franko

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need to install my steering column on a 69 Dart and I am wondering how I get the splines lined up at the steering box. Does it only line up one way? As I look and feel with my fingers I can't tell that anything is different from one spline to the next.

the steering box is keyed...the column/shaft is keyed...need to line them up...

center the box by going all the way left..the count the number of turns all the way to the right...come back half of that...you should see a area that has no splines on it...that is the key...

look at the end of your shaft...(LOL)...look for the same keyway...line them up...i usually mark both ends with a black marker to help see...

You should find a master spline (flat spot) on both the steering coupler and the input shaft of the box.

If the steering gear is centered the master spline is visible on the top. The box coupling has a tiny V filed in the outer edge marking its master spline location.

Thanks guys. That advice was spot on. I guess I need new glasses. I slid the splines as far as I could by hand, but now I am not sure I have as far as it should go. There is still some exposed spline beyond that circular depression. After I read some posts on collapsing the column I don't want to put any undue pressure on it. If I was smarter I would have taken a before picture, which is my new policy. Can anybody tell me if the splines look right in this picture or is it supposed to go further in? If so, what is the best way to accomplish that? Also I knocked out the roll pin from the top. I plan on reusing it. The Service Manual shows the pin going in from the bottom. I would think that doesn't matter and could just drive it in from the top.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 320
The pin should be removed so you can see through and line the cutaway in the shaft up with the hole. Very few places you can tap on that coupling. The edge of the hole is one.

The pin should be removed so you can see through and line the cutaway in the shaft up with the hole. Very few places you can tap on that coupling. The edge of the hole is one.

RedFish- The pin is out. So I have to tap the coupling to drive it further on the shaft where the cutaway lines up with the hole for the roll pin? What do you mean by the edge of the hole is a place to tap?

The coupler should go down farther so all the splines are covered by the coupler. The pin hole should then be centered over the concave indentation between the splined parts of the steering box input shaft. You won't be able to put the pin in unless its lined up properly.

RedFish- The pin is out. So I have to tap the coupling to drive it further on the shaft where the cutaway lines up with the hole for the roll pin? What do you mean by the edge of the hole is a place to tap?

If you distort the cap on that coupling at all it will pop off and never stay in place again. You can use a drift and hammer tap lightly in the edge of that hole and not hurt anything. Sometimes I can just wiggle and shake on the coupling and it will move on down. a little WD-40 could help too.

I used WD40 on the splines before I tried to install the column. I used a brass rod and tapped it on the edge of the roll pin hole as recommended. It still hasn't budged. I'm stuck. I suppose I need to take it apart and start all over again. Does anybody know what would cause this? It should slide right on. I used a pry bar to get it off and didn't think I damaged anything. And it slid off very easily. I was careful not to hit the splines, or at least that's what I thought. Any pearls of wisdom?

steering demo.jpg

You have to have it right to get it this far. You could load up the hole with lube (I like PB Blaster better than WD). Or you could tap it back up and put some axle grease on it. Try alternating tapping on one side of the hole then the other with your rod. x2 on whats been said about just wiggling it around till it lines up.

It is a very closely machined fit. With the groove cut in the shaft and the cross drilled in the coupling it can get hung up very easily. Like I said before, with a little WD-40 I have rotated and shook it and it moved. Have you turned it 180 and tapped on the opposite side ?
Good luck with it.

One other thing that has worked for me in the past was sitting in the driver's seat with the wheel in my hand (assuming it's attached to the column). Move it gently up and down, left to right and tap on the wheel with your bare fist. Occassionally that will make it slide the rest of the way in.

here is how it sits in my 71. part of the spline will show. you need the groove in the spline lined up with the roll pin hole. Don't worry if you don't think it's on far enough. If the pin is in the groove, you're good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 274
Thanks to everybody for their advice. It got me on the right track.

I got that coupler installed today. I slid it back out, sprayed it with brake cleaner, then PB Blaster. It still wouldn't go on though, so I decided to try rotating it one spline.

I believe it went in as far as it did in my picture without the splines lining up correctly. When I rotated it slightly, it slid in by hand easy as pie in about one second.

But now I have one more question. There seems to be some minor slop in the steering. I read about adjusting the Worm Bearing Pre-Load in the Service Manual. That's complicated.

I think that with a GM you can just turn the adjusting screw on top clockwise to take up some slack. Has anybody done that and tightened up their steering?

The same adjustment you reference to GM should also be in your service manual.

-
Back