Steering Column Issue

-

mickey_bigdaddy

Reaction score
I have a 74 Dart Sport column shift that won't go into PARK. This car has power steering.

I looked at it and the dash mounting bolts don't align and are not even screwed in. I cannot twist the column to line up. See the picture below.

Attachments

• Dash mount.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 257
Upon further review, the firewall mount looks like it was modified. Are those 2 bolts supposed to be there?

Attachments

• Firewall mount.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 296
I think the 74's would have had the transmission / ignition switch interlock, IE you cannot put the gear in park unless the switch is locked. Maybe something there bent / broke/ etc?

I would unhook the shift linkage under the hood temporarily to keep that from being a problem

I don't remember on the late columns, I think if you loosen the two pictured bolts the column will rotate. The question, though is "how it got that way?"

Upon further review, the firewall mount looks like it was modified. Are those 2 bolts supposed to be there?

I would have to ask the same how in the hell did it get like that. The two bolts are suppose to be there you can turn it by loosing the three bolts that hold the plate to the floor the holes in the plate are quite a bit bigger than the bolt. You can also loosen the two bolt and rotate the column there is a rubber seal inside that is probably sized to the metal so your have to use some rust buster to get it to move Do to the boot next to the column plate having a hole in it looks like the car had a clutch at some time did someone convert it ????????

"><a href="http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachment.php?attachmentid=1714736727&stc=1&d=1405471431" target="_blank">

Idk, maybe. But, I bought it like this. I've been trying to get it around in my garage and the thing needs some delicate fiddlin' to get it to start.

I found this pic off another '74 car for the same area on the firewall. Those 2 bolts are not there.

Clutch??? Well that's an added plus I just found out about.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 230
I think the 74's would have had the transmission / ignition switch interlock, IE you cannot put the gear in park unless the switch is locked. Maybe something there bent / broke/ etc?

I would unhook the shift linkage under the hood temporarily to keep that from being a problem

I don't remember on the late columns, I think if you loosen the two pictured bolts the column will rotate. The question, though is "how it got that way?"

Unless this is just a small alignment thing, I think I'm just going to throw in the towel and buy another one. Trying to figure out some previous owner's mindset just gives me tired head. :violent1:

Most of the projects I get myself in to are a patchwork of some previous owner's shortcuts. Some people just aren't meant to work on cars.

Looks to me like the column crush sleeve is bulged possible from some type of impact and that's why the two studs under the dash don't line up with the column.

Column is probably out of a wrecked car

Looks to me like the column crush sleeve is bulged possible from some type of impact and that's why the two studs under the dash don't line up with the column.

Column is probably out of a wrecked car

That's what it is I'd bet.
The diamonds in that expanded metal are even twisted.

Just lift up on the steering wheel,, it'll lift the column into place over that other stud, put nuts and washers on, there should be 3 studs, one further down, and that should bring your linkage into alignment, it should then go into park.... the floor bolts don't appear to have been moved recently, and likely will be fine where they are.. imho

That looks like a early style column. There's nothing to keep the column from rotating
Other than rust or as mentioned the linkage could be binding up keep the column from
rotating into position and possibly into park.

I took the column out and have some pics. It looks to me like the whole thing is factory built. Am I correct?

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 183
  • 003.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 187
  • 010.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 200
  • 009.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 196
Also, is there supposed to be something that keeps this gap in check? The shaft just wobbles around in there.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 187
As mentioned that is a pre 74 column and appears to have been bent at some time that is why the shaft is not centered. If the linkage is for a different year or different than your corresponding trans it won't let the column rotate to the correct position as well

I guess the older style column had the extra 2 bolts then. I'm assuming that's how you guys are determining that. Is that correct?

Actually, the picture below is not showing a bent shaft. That gap is a all around the shaft, I can move it around inside the column. I was just wondering if it was supposed to be like that. It seems that maybe there should be a bearing or something there to keep the shaft centered.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 158
I took my column out and inspected it carefully. It looks all stock to me but was installed improperly. I reinstalled (pic below with proper parts) and I have a new problem.

The car will turn over and I can try to start it in ALL the gears, not just PARK or NEUTRAL but it won't start. It started before, but I just had to find the right spot in the gears that allowed it to start. What would that suggest is the issue now?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 150
I can try to start it in ALL the gears, not just PARK or NEUTRAL but it won't start. It started before, but I just had to find the right spot in the gears that allowed it to start. What would that suggest is the issue now?

Do you mean "start or fire" or "run" or do you mean "starter cranking over the engine?"

Some of what you probably did

It's important to know "how these work."

The neutral safety switch is on the TRANSMISSION. But when you moved the column around, you probably changed the relationship of the shifter linkage on the column / between / and to the transmission.

so re-adjust it

You have a service manual?

Also, depending on what you meant, you may have pulled loose an electrical connector. If the engine turns over with the starter (cranks) but will not fire, you may have pulled loose the column connector where the ignition switch hooks to the column

Did you bypass the seat belt interlock? (Reset under the hood)

Read this:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1969624169

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=14304

Otherwise post back and we'll step you through some things

The engine turns over with the starter (cranks) IN ANY GEAR but will not fire.

I did disconnect 2 connectors on the column to take the column out, seen below. I just plugged them back in again. It should have started.

But, you're probably right that I changed the relationship of the shifter linkage on the column / between / and to the transmission. So let me figure that out again.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 143
So I read that thread on the seat belt interlock. First what is this thing called? If I get rid of it, then I just need to connect the 2 wires yellow black stripe & tan. Is that correct?

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 127
That button is frozen. I put a jumper on the 2 wires and still no start.

The starter is turning over. Isn't that a sign that this is NOT a problem? Doesn't this switch prevent the starter from turning over?

The neutral safety switch is on the TRANSMISSION. But when you moved the column around, you probably changed the relationship of the shifter linkage on the column / between / and to the transmission.

so re-adjust it

You have a service manual?

I do have a service manual for the 73 but mine is a 74. What am I looking for to adjust the linkage?

-
Back