Steering column question

-

tekslk

Reaction score
I have a 67 barracuda with manual steering. I changed the turn signal switch last week and took a screw out just below the right side of the switch, this screw didnt have to be removed, but when I went to put it back its like there is no nut plate for it. What does the screw hold?

There are square nuts that get started onto the bolts then Simi-captured in notches formed in the tube wall. Then tightening screws draws the collar to the tube. If the screw is backed all the way out the nut falls to the bottom of the tube.

In many cases the square nut is found laying in the floor.

Search my posts. I have one with photos rebuilding my 65 Dart column. It sounds very similar to your 1967. By at least 1969 the design changed to the collapsible column for safety. Look closely and you will see that those square nuts have a longer side. Orient that outward into the column.

Got the column squared away today, that wasnt too bad, Then we tackeled the headlight relays, my lights are now white instead of yellow, who would have ever guessed, thanks to everyone for all the great advice.

9Pm just drove the car no voltage drop and sealed beams worked as good as they ever will. Thanks again everyone for posting the relay change on headlights.

-
Back