Steering column question

-

blue440duster

Reaction score
So I am putting together a 71 floor shift steering column that's been completely been taken apart and I am wondering what makes the key release lever spring back? (it must right?... can't be manual both ways?)

You know the collar that has the little decal that says "To remove key - depress lever & turn key" on it

Owner swears all the parts were in the box but the 71 parts catalog shows a spring & bumper for 71 floor shift column I suspect this my answer....

Anyone have pics?

So I am putting together a 71 floor shift steering column that's been completely been taken apart and I am wondering what makes the key release lever spring back? (it must right?... can't be manual both ways?)

You know the collar that has the little decal that says "To remove key - depress lever & turn key" on it

Owner swears all the parts were in the box but the 71 parts catalog shows a spring & bumper for 71 floor shift column I suspect this my answer....

Anyone have pics?

ABODYJOE posted a great photo series on changing an ignition switch, that is the closest I know of

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=128836

Back when I worked at the Ford dealership, Fords had a button under the lock cylinder area to push up releasing the key. I don't know how many of those were disabled/defeated on customer paid tickets. I know I did about 10 of them myself. So... my best guess is your missing spring was purposely removed and tossed, someone paid a price to get rid of it.

Here ya go...

Attachments

• collarspring.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 198
  • diagram1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 176
Thanks airgrabber that's the kin of view i was looking for

Is any one parting out a column that would like to sell me the spring & bumper?

You could cobble up your own bumper and spring pretty easily. Many of those bumpers are falling apart and the spring just has a loop on one end and a slight bend on the other to make it stay in the hole. I bet if you wrapped duct tape around where the bumper would go it would do the job.

-
Back