Steering Column removal

-

OCswinger

Reaction score
ok guys, what am I missing here? I know the linkage has to come off yet, I'm lost on how to remove it. I dont see any way this is actually attached. If it helps, its a 74 Duster.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_20161230_193959.jpg

1) Locate the roll pin at the end of the steering coupler (at the far end of the square thing at the bottom of your photo. Turn the wheel till visible and drive it out with a punch.
2) Disconect the linkage.
3) Remove the plastic column cover directly below the column inside the car. It's attached to the dash frame.
4) Remove the 3 bolts around the retainer at the base of the column at the floor inside the car.
5) Remove the two nuts under the column just under the dash. The column will drop down.
6) Disconnect the two large, flat wiring connectors where the wires exit the column.
7) Pull the column out as an assembly. You may need to gently pry the coupler loose from the steering box.

You can see the roll pin in this photo...

shaftinstalled.jpg

1) Locate the roll pin at the end of the steering coupler (at the far end of the square thing at the bottom of your photo. Turn the wheel till visible and drive it out with a punch.
3) Remove the plastic column cover directly below
the column inside the car. It's attached to the dash frame.
4) Remove the 3 bolts around the retainer at the base of the column at the floor inside the car.

5) Remove the two nuts under the column just under the dash. The column will drop down.
6) Disconnect the two large, flat wiring connectors where the wires exit the column.
7) Pull the column out as an assembly. You may need to gently pry the coupler loose from the steering box.

Thanks!!!!! That is exactly what I need!

Yes that linkage rod needs to come off. Also there is a roll pin in the coupler at the bottom of ur pic. Pound it out with a punch. Slide the coupler up off the shaft of the steering box. Go inside up under the dash u will remove a plastic cover. 2 studs with 3 nuts and a ground wire gets unbolted. Also some wiring gets unplugged. Way down at the floor boards there is a triangle plate with 3 bolts to take put. Slide it out ur done. Kim

The above info is correct but it will save a bit of hassle if you remove the bolts from the firewall
plate before removing the three bolts from under the dash.

Now I dont have to ask :) need to pull the column back to get the header out and change steering boxes!
These A bodies are Tight. My last project was a C10 chevy and everything was easy(relatively speaking):thankyou:

3) Remove the plastic column cover directly below the column inside the car. It's attached to the dash frame.

View attachment 1715002909
This helps me also on my 69 Fish Vert. Thanks!!!

View attachment 1715002909
Do you by any chance have a step by step way to remove the column pieces in order to completely disassemble the column? I'm now trying to do the column to floor conversion and it's been a PITA. Every thread on it leaves out the steps to remove the shift area from the column

Do you by any chance have a step by step way to remove the column pieces in order to completely disassemble the column? I'm now trying to do the column to floor conversion and it's been a PITA. Every thread on it leaves out the steps to remove the shift area from the column

I'm in the process of doing this myself as well. I'm at work so I'll try and recall it the best I can from memory.

1. Remove steering wheel center trim piece. Plastic circular cover with the rocket emblem on my '69 Val.
  2. This exposes three screws to take off the horn ring.
  3. Steering wheel nut comes off then use a puller to pull the wheel off the splines. There might be 3 screws that hold the wheel on too, I can't remember.
  4. Once the wheel is off you can take out the turn signal lever attached by a long screw, then the turn signal switch.
  5. Once that comes off there is a retaining plate over the upper column bearing held on by three screws. Remove the screws and plate.
  6. Next there is a snap ring to remove and you can slide that part of the housing off the column.
  7. Now you should be down to the shift selector lever housing. Remove the selector lever by removing the flat head screw then pushing the roll pin out. There is a spring resting under the lever inside the housing, pull that out.
  8. There is a small Allen head grub screw that holds the shift tube inside the column. You can access it through the hole where the shift lever was.
Viola! I think I remembered everything correctly! Respond back if you run into a snag.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of doing this myself as well. I'm at work so I'll try and recall it the best I can from memory.

1. Remove steering wheel center trim piece. Plastic circular cover with the rocket emblem on my '69 Val.
  2. This exposes three screws to take off the horn ring.
  3. Steering wheel nut comes off then use a puller to pull the wheel off the splines. There might be 3 screws that hold the wheel on too, I can't remember.
  4. Once the wheel is off you can take out the turn signal lever attached by a long screw, then the turn signal switch.
  5. Once that comes off there is a retaining plate over the upper column bearing held on by three screws. Remove the screws and plate.
  6. Next there is a snap ring to remove and you can slide that part of the housing off the column.
  7. Now you should be down to the shift selector lever housing. Remove the selector lever by removing the flat head screw then pushing the roll pin out. There is a spring resting under the lever inside the housing, pull that out.
  8. There is a small Allen head grub screw that holds the shift tube inside the column. You can access it through the hole where the shift lever was.
Viola! I think I remembered everything correctly! Respond back if you run into a snag.
Ok, what am I missing here??? There's a 3 1/2" wide metal wheel that's notched. It won't come out, and on the bottom of the shaft there is the T. So either way I can't slide the shaft out. Any thoughts, besides the obvious that's what he said jokes?

Last edited:
That pin at the bottom is absolute hell getting out. I didn't have the notched wheel in my column but I was able to find a diagram. One sec please.

I think it's the drift pin that was discussed up above. Read over it carefully. I need to do mine also. Guys are telling me the pin can slide out once assembled. One guy told me he made a clamp to hold the pin in......If the pin comes out you loose your steering capability.
Thanks. I've got to go re read it.

I haven't been able to find a '74 FSM free online, but that looks like a cover to me. I'd bet if you could bend those tabs out it would slide off and reveal its mystery lol.

I haven't been able to find a '74 FSM free online, but that looks like a cover to me. I'd bet if you could bend those tabs out it would slide off and reveal its mystery lol.
You sir, are correct and I feel pretty dumb right now, thing slid right off.

There's a How-to on here to put a sealed bearing in the bottom of the column, replacing the nylon one. If you wanted to do that now, it would be a good time as you've got it all apart and can put the shaft in a press to get the cross pin at the bottom out.

-
Back