Steering Column removal

-
I've got the sealed bearing sitting in front of me. I think I'm going to print out those instructions, sometimes I get lost in the multiple threads I have saved.
Thanks for all your help.

No problem, I have pictures in my build thread. I'm doing the sealed bearing also, I'm going to chop the shift selector tube up to just past its support and cut the outer column tube to just past the firewall for more header clearance. I even went so far as to cut the shifter lever lug off the column, there's a how-to for that as well, with a good accompanying thread for info. Oh yeah forgot to add, I'm doing a quick disconnect steering wheel while its all apart too, yah know just because I've always wanted a race car LOL.

This site does rock, without it I wouldn't even know where to begin with my basket case of a car.

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread here. I removed the column from my 73 Dart Sport, PS, auto on the floor. When I got the car, the coupler was trash. I replaced the missing lower bearing with the aftermarket bearing mentioned on a FABO post. Also rebuilt the coupler and got 3 new nylon sliders for the under dash bracket. I put the column back in, all under dash mountings point adjustments maxed out, and it's too short. With the coupler fully extended, it will go over the first set of threads on the steering gear but not far enough to engage the roll pin. And I know the coupler cannot be fully extended when installed so I'm about 2 inches too short. The column has not been crushed, the pins are still in place. I have cussed words I never knew. Any ideas? Is it possible some dummy put a non-PS column in and made it work?

The manual steering column shaft is longer than the power one. The nylon pins in the shaft have probably been sheared you can't tell because the nylon will still be visible in the holes. This does not
mean the shaft is junk it will still do its job and do it safely just need to pull it apart to get the correct length.

Cuda Scott how hard is it to pull apart? I've done some pretty good pulling and it doesn't move. Maybe get my engine guy/crew chief to pull it, lots bigger than me!

With it in the car not sure? If you wrap the shaft with some electrical tape then clamp a pair of vise grips on it and wack the vise grips with a hammer.
Personally I would measure to see how far out it needs to be then pull the shaft and mark it where the lower half slides into the upper half. Next place a
flat washer over the threaded end of the shaft and thread the nut on until the threads are flush with the top of the the nut. Next clamp the lower section in a vise and use a open end wrench behind the washer and hit it with a hammer until the required length
is between the mark and the end of the upper shaft.
There are other ways to get it done I'm sure you can do it.

Thanks guys. Column is out of car so should be able to get it. Just wasn't sure how much force I could put into it. Guess I was figuring it would slide a bit easier.

-
Back