steering coupling

-

oregonhd

big daddy John
Reaction score
I have a 72 Dart, and I put a 75 k member under it, my question is will the steering coupling on the 72 mate up with the power steering gear of the 75. or do I need the take the coulping off the 75. lets how smart guys are.

Check my "facts". I recall the 72 has the earlier power steering gear and 75 the later. The main difference is that the early one has a smaller diameter output shaft (where Pitman arm attaches). The later steering gear is the same as all C-bodies (like my 65 Newport). I understand that the input shaft diameter is the same. However, on my 65 Dart there is no key on either the gear or column coupler, which could cause problems in mixing parts.

There may be differences in the hoses, depending on the power steering pumps. The TRW pump (on early cast iron water pump) has an inverted flare on the high-pressure port, whereas the similar-looking Federal (or "Chrysler") pump (on later alum water pump) has an O-ring fitting. I dealt with that. I recall the return hoses also vary. I had to take the return fitting off a later pump. I was also installing an oil cooler from a 90's Dodge truck, so might have been why (forgot).

I have the 75 coupling, I will try again tommorow, one of those things you have to sleep over, I had two cars a 75 valiant and a 72 dart. the 72 was in better shape so I went with it, if I have to change the coupling I have to change the coupling no big deal. thanks for your input, I appriate it.

My 72 Demon has a 75 Valiant front end under it. I put the Firm Feel PS box out of a Dippy on the K-member. I had no problem with the column connecting to the box. The Pittman arm on the FF box had to be changed out for one that would fit the A-body geometry and the larger diameter output shaft on the FF box. (Bill has his facts on the output shaft correct, IMHO.)

There are 2 different input shaft diameters so there are 2 different couplings also.
I can never remember exactly what year the varios changes in steering parts happened.
There is a combination of mixmatched steering gear and center link that there isn't a pitman arm made that will connect the 2. :(
If you have to move the coupling from on shaft to another you might consider purchasing the rebuild kit for the coupling. Another twenty-few dollars to spend.

The power steering box takes a small (5/8") spline coupler, a manual steering box takes a large (3/4") spline coupler. If the 72 and the 75 both have power steering the couplers will be the same. The center link, pitman and idler arms will be different between the 72 and 75, however either style will bolt up to any 68-76 A body K frame.

-
Back