Steering end to end movement limited

-

Zak

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My "A" body bretheren....Have a "G" code 71 Duster. Added lower control arm's with tabs to accept a factory sway bar. Everything installed and line up perfectly. Installed calipers and when I turned wheel I noticed the inner part of caliper that houses the piston, contacts the sway bar thus preventing full travel either left or right. Anyone recollect this kind of problem? John

Put the sway bar on the top if on the bottom or on the bottom if on the top of the tabs.

I don't know. The anti-sway bars are different from 72/ earlier, to 73/ later, and so is the tab mounting on the arm. Many of us have mounted the spindles reversed side for side, so that we can mount the calipers on the rear side of the spindle, to alleviate any POSSIBLE problems with anti sway bars.

What are you using for brakes? The 71 would still originally have had the old dual piston calipers, so if you are running 73/ later single piston calipers they may not fit. Again, the sway bar setup, 73/ later, as well as the brakes, changed that year

Agree with the above. If you swapped in '73 and later based (single piston, 4.5" bolt circle) disc brakes, you need to swap the spindles/calipers side-to-side to make the calipers mount to the rear in order for them to work with the early suspension/sway bar. This will require use of longer front brake hoses, generally Volare/Aspen or '69 Camaro units are used.
If you have the early four piston Kelsey/Hayes (4" bolt circle) brakes, they should not interfere with the sway bar, and I would look into how you have the bar mounted, particularly the length & positioning of the end links. Compare your setup to photos in the factory service manual. You do have one, right? If not, download a free one at Mymopar.com.

Perfect fellas. I very much appreciate the intell. Previous owner probably utilized 73 or later disc set up as they are single piston calipers. I'll try the swap from left to right spindles to augment calipers from front to rear. I do possess factory manuals. Thanks fellas.

-
Back