steering help!

-

BrandunLee

Reaction score
I cant figure out why my steering is acting up. I thought it was just alignment at first and then I started looking at tie rods and ball joints. I hit some of the smallest bumps or uneven paths in the road and the car swerves and wobbles o nits own with the steering wheel straight even. Uneven tire wear is a problem also.

Wow, those Avenger G/T tires really wore out fast...my bet is worn suspension parts,,,,I would look at your tie rod ends and ball joints, a recent alignment will not fix this if you have worn parts.

Wow, those Avenger G/T tires really wore out fast...my bet is worn suspension parts,,,,I would look at your tie rod ends and ball joints, a recent alignment will not fix this if you have worn parts.

yeah those tires aren't even 6 months old

yeah those tires aren't even 6 months old
What?!?! I wouldn't put another set on until you figure out what's causing that. Might be time to go through the whole front end. Tear everything apart on Friday night, put it back together the next day. Kits are available and it's cheaper than buying new tires every six months!

I bet the gas mileage sucks pushing that down the road, yep! for sure !! upper and lower ball joints and tie rod kit needs to hit your car before you drive any farther

looks like the toe setting is way out scuffing the rubber off.

The toe is MAJORLY positive, and besides everything already mentioned the lower control arm bushings can do that also.
Especially the hitting a bump and it takes off somewhere else.

Bet that thing squalls like crazy going over painted lines and in parking lots.

Probability in order:

Any, most, all rubber bushings worn out

lower ball joints

upper ball joints

idler arm

some / all tie rod ends

pitman arm

out of alignment

How about this: jack up the front end, grab the damn tire, imagine a clock; If it wobbles 3 and 9, you need new tie rods or deeper, if it wobbles 12 to 6 you need to figure out the wheel bearings. Get up under there with a flashlight, have someone turn the wheel, look at the linkages under there, you'll find the play.

My vote if you need to rebuild your front end. Doooo ittt.

PS: Don't bother taking it to an alignment shop, its super easy to do it in your garage, do a search on the subject.

What?!?! I wouldn't put another set on until you figure out what's causing that. Might be time to go through the whole front end. Tear everything apart on Friday night, put it back together the next day. Kits are available and it's cheaper than buying new tires every six months!

yeah that's my plan, I was gonna buy a cheap set of used tires to put on it because the uneven wear is whats causing the car to be all squirly over the bumps

How about this: jack up the front end, grab the damn tire, imagine a clock; If it wobbles 3 and 9, you need new tie rods or deeper, if it wobbles 12 to 6 you need to figure out the wheel bearings. Get up under there with a flashlight, have someone turn the wheel, look at the linkages under there, you'll find the play.

My vote if you need to rebuild your front end. Doooo ittt.

PS: Don't bother taking it to an alignment shop, its super easy to do it in your garage, do a search on the subject.

that's what I was doing when I took these pictures. there was a bit of play on the ball joints but nothing on the tie rods. I had it aligned when I bought the tires and while he did that I had him replace the wheel bearings . It drove so smooth after that and the tires looked like they were going to last. then out of no where I started to see the outsides of the tires wearing down. also the driver side tire looks like its tucked under the fender a few inches more than the wheel on the right. could be a misshapen fender causing it to look like that but I'm not sure. it really needs a lot of front end work I just had know idea where to start. guess I'm replacing everything.

PS sometimes when I'm braking, the front end bounces almost as if I'm hitting some speed bumps with just the front end. you could even say it felt like I was bouncing on some hydraulics haha

Check your control arm bushings and frame for rust things might be changing while your driving. I couldnt see my rust till we took it up to align it but than it was like night and day once we found the problem.

-
Back