steering shaft threads

-

Lost Bushman

Rich with Anti-Money
Reaction score
So, the threads on my steering shaft that hold the main nut have been gummed up beyond repair. I figured that I would just get a threading die and cut some new threads. Until I found out that a die that big is $40. Anybody got any ideas, or want to loan me a die for a minimal fee ?

I don't remember the exact technical name, but there exists a tool called a "thread file". This is usually a square file with different threads / inch on each side, divided in the middle, so different threads on each end, for a total of 8. You pick the correct thread, and work the file carefully around of offending fastener.

Also look for a thread chaser, which should be way cheaper than a die

files2.jpg

threadfile.jpg

take it to a machine shop, they probably could do it for 10 bucks.

From my days at a restoration shop, I've got 3 different thread files and a tap/die set up to an inch. All this stuff has come in handy at one time or another.

Is this gearbox still installed in the vehicle, or sitting on the workbench?
What's your time worth to you if you have to remove and replace the gearbox?
Buying yourself the die to clean up the threads will still be saving you money in the long run, even if you had to pay for a replacement part.
Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet, and pay for the tool to get the job done.

I don't remember the exact technical name, but there exists a tool called a "thread file".

That would be great, but the first 1/2" of thread is gone. Worn off completely.

From my days at a restoration shop, I've got 3 different thread files and a tap/die set up to an inch. All this stuff has come in handy at one time or another.

I bet. My dad has a set, but it's in Phoenix...Wonk wonk....

Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet, and pay for the tool to get the job done.

I've known and have done this many, many , MANY times.
See: Coil Spring Compressors.

-
Back