Steering shaft u joint

-

Jesse Stevenson

Reaction score
1969 dodge dart with headers not sure what exactly I need to connect my steering rod to the power steering pump and miss the headers? U joint maybe?

1969 dodge dart with headers not sure what exactly I need to connect my steering rod to the power steering pump and miss the headers? U joint maybe?
I think this post needs a review for a proper response. I’m not sure what a steering rod is. Is it possible you are talking about a steering BOX and a steering column shaft? That is a common interference when installing headers.

Are you using a stock steering shaft, coupler, and gearbox now? Is is power or manual steering?

Yes it's the steering shaft and it's to close to the header and it needs to detour a bit to connect to the power steering pump.

Can you dent the header in order to gain clearance?

On my 66 Barracuda, my steering shaft goes "through" the headers. Steering shaft has come out to get headers on and off!!

I believe all of the u-joint style requires the steering shaft to be cut.

Hey Jesse I had the same problem with my 68 Barracuda when the headers went on, the stock coupler hit the headers. You do not have to dent in your headers, there was no way I was going to do that. I did have to shorten the bottom of my steering column shaft a little bit after I removed the stock coupler but now no interference with the headers. At first I was told to use a Flaming River FR1506P which did not work, after spending some time with the Flaming River tech we figured out the best coupler for my car was the FR1757 and it worked out great. Look at the pictures and if you need any more just let me know.
Bob

IMG_3871.JPG

IMG_3868.JPG

IMG_3869.JPG

IMG_3870.JPG

Hey Jesse I had the same problem with my 68 Barracuda when the headers went on, the stock coupler hit the headers. You do not have to dent in your headers, there was no way I was going to do that. I did have to shorten the bottom of my steering column shaft a little bit after I removed the stock coupler but now no interference with the headers. At first I was told to use a Flaming River FR1506P which did not work, after spending some time with the Flaming River tech we figured out the best coupler for my car was the FR1757 and it worked out great. Look at the pictures and if you need any more just let me know.
Bob

View attachment 1716056531

View attachment 1716056532

View attachment 1716056533

View attachment 1716056534
How much smaller do you think tht one is than the factory coupler? That looks like a dandy.

The problem with the stock power steering coupler was where the shoes went into the coupler, that is where it sticks out and hits the headers. Had the coupler just been the smaller round shape then it would have worked just fine. The Flaming River joint is just about the same diameter as the round part on the stock coupler, not exactly sure of the exact measurements but pretty darn close. I believe I had to take about 1 1/2" off the bottom of my steering shaft, but every steering shaft is a little different so you will need to measure your shaft to be sure. It was actually a very simple job and worked out just fine, no more interference.

005.JPG

I’ve always wondered why Chrysler made that plunging design. What are we losing by going to just a solid u-joint? I could see trading off a little smoothness or effort. Probably less wear and tear with the Chrysler design too.

-
Back