Steering turns sharp to the left but not to the right.

-

cudajim

cudajim
Reaction score
My 67 Barracuda came in pieces. I put it all together including the proper K-member, steering arm, pitman arm, power steering box and more. Anyhow, it steers properly to the left but not that sharp to the right. I've tried re-positioning the steering arm but it always seems to come out the same. What am I doing wrong? I'm sure it worked properly from the factory.

Your steering shaft is probably a turn off. The steering gear needs to be centered before the column is connected. Let's say your box has 4 turns lock-to-lock. It needs to be centered at 2 turns and then the column hooked up. Also are both tie rod sleeves even from side to side?

It is not the column. The column coupler can only make the wheel 1/2 turn off

I don't think it's the column either. I have an aftermarket steering wheel and I can position it anywhere I need to. The problem's down below somewhere.

Your idler arm is off a tooth or so on your steering box.

Count the turns lock-to-lock. Split that # in half, so you can see if the steering box is centered. Then look under the car to see if the idler arm & pitman arm are facing straight ahead.

If they're not, it's possible the sector shaft in the steering box is twisted. Pull the pitman arm down & closely check the splines.

Doesn't the pitman arm only go on one way? Isn't there a missing tooth or a flat on it like the splines on the steering shaft where the coupler attaches?

I would be tempted to disconnect the pitman arm from the steering gear, turn the wheel lock to lock and count the turns then turn it back half way to center it. Then re attach the pitman arm.

Don't forget what Toolman said about the tie-rod sleves. I bought a 63 plymouth that would turn 4 1/2 turns right and 3 1/2 turns left. It was in the tie-rod adjustment. Just a thought.

Don't forget what Toolman said about the tie-rod sleves. I bought a 63 plymouth that would turn 4 1/2 turns right and 3 1/2 turns left. It was in the tie-rod adjustment. Just a thought.

This or something bent.

Doesn't the pitman arm only go on one way? Isn't there a missing tooth or a flat on it like the splines on the steering shaft where the coupler attaches?

I would be tempted to disconnect the pitman arm from the steering gear, turn the wheel lock to lock and count the turns then turn it back half way to center it. Then re attach the pitman arm.

Yes it only goes on in one place due to the spline design. (it would have to be a full turn off)
And I also agree this is best checked disconnected.

May also be the steering stops are not the same. I have also seen lower ball joint bolts put in the wrong way ( The head of the bolt goes toward the frame)

Brian

Alright, I'll check the tie rod sleeves for differences first then probably pull the pitman arm down and have a helper rotate the wheel lock to lock then turn back 1/2 the distance. (I'm guessing this may be the problem). I know there's nothing bent because it's all new.

-
Back