Steering Wheel Restoration

-

340 8BBL

Reaction score
Anyone have any tips,advice,or good reads on steering wheel restoration? I'd like to attempt to pull mine from my 66 Valiant with the hallmark cracks on the center arms.
-Marianne

I saw Stacy David repair an old steering wheel on Gearz. You might want to check his website (maybe through Speed Channel). I think he used epoxy to fill the cracks followed by paint.

I Used the stuff from por 15 on my dads 38 pontiac steering wheel.Eight years later still no more cracks. Used an epoxy on his 51 chevy and the steering wheel cracked after a month...
HKeller

I Used the stuff from por 15 on my dads 38 pontiac steering wheel.Eight years later still no more cracks. Used an epoxy on his 51 chevy and the steering wheel cracked after a month...
HKeller
I checked out POR 15's site,what I found was POR's 2 part epoxy/putty,and PORPATCH which comes in a single tube and remains semiflexible.do you recall which one you used? and do you recomend a source for int. paint to match my steering wheel?
-MARIANNE

well i love 2 part epoxy but the st. wheel is a rubberized plastic so i'm thinkin the porpatch might be a better choice weathering winter summer extremes and time???I DONT LIKE TO DO THINGS TWICE!

You can use Testors model paint to blend small amounts of custom colors, then use it to tint the 2 part epoxy. If you rough the 2 sides of the crack to give the epoxy a tooth to bond to it will hold a long time. Age and weather draws the oil out of the plastic causing it to shrink and crack. At this age it cant shrink much more.

I've used the POR 15 epoxy putty and the PC7 epoxy kit that Eastwood sell many times before, on the steering wheels from the 50's and 60's they always crack again next to the repair, it's only a fine crack line but enough to ruin the appearance. Maybe the plastic welders you see advertised for repairing hard plastic might work better??

-
Back