Steering wheel too small??

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
Couldn't get the '74 Dart Sport inspected today because "the steering wheel is too small." Anyone else run into this problem in your state? Aaron had it inspected for three consecutive years with no problem, now some goofball wants to make an issue out of his aftermarket Grant wheel. Its diameter is smaller than "the book" says it should be.

Can someone with a Tuff wheel tell me its diameter?

Jerry

What? Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Do they want to sell you a new wheel or some thing? When I lived in VA you had to get a safty inspection once a year. Every year the guy would tell me my head lights were out of ajustment. I never did call him out on it but you know it is just an ez way to get more money out of you.

I was gonna say the same thing.........I don't like to have to resort to such things, but I really can't stand the Gov't cronies telling me everything I can and can't do, especially when it don't mean diddly...........

Whomever turned you down is constipated for sure. Sorry. They surely is.

That's what is strange about the whole deal... the first year, we were told the "too small" thing at one inspection station, so we took it to this one, and they didn't say a word about it. Now, three years later, it's an issue. Supposedly, the wheel can't be any smaller than what was originally on that year model.

Were Tuff wheels available in 1974? Were they smaller in diameter than the ol' grannie 16" wheel his had on it?

Yes, the ol' steering wheel switcheroo is the answer (this guy even suggested it). What a pain...

Years ago on my old 340 Swinger, I had an aftermarket tach mounted up on the shoulder belt hook by the visor. I got stopped one day and given a 'fix it' ticket because it "obstructed my vision". I put in a plug-in electrical connection, put the tack in my glovebox, pulled in to a CHP location and had the 'fix it' ticket cleared. Drove out of their parking lot around the corner, pulled the tach out of my glovebox, plugged it in and went happily on my way.
Simple fix. Time to do the same with your steering wheel.

All of that sounds correct. I spent alittle time working in a Lube shop where they did inspections in San Antonio Tx. Sure you can swap out for the original for the inspection. Odds are if you get pulled over or something the officer will never even know. But the moment an accident occurs. It could be a big problem. Since the car shouldnt have been on the road if it woundnt pass BY THE BOOK specs. When I did them we had the major things we checked nothing was ever very thorough. Even varied from shop to shop.

I'm in North Carolina, They dont require inspections on cars over 30 years old. (thank goodess) That crap can really be a pain!!

Just checked the Texas Dept. of Public Safety car inspection regulations. I think what the guy is referencing is a statement about inspecting the steering system. He is required to look for "modified or replaced steering wheels that are 'noticeably' smaller than the original." Key word is "noticeably."

Tuff wheels were available for Dusters and Dart Sports, and they were approximately 14" dia. Aaron's Grant "Challenger Series" steering wheel is similar to the Tuff in appearance and is 13-1/2" dia. I think he can argue the point with the safety inspector that 1/2" is not that "noticeable." I don't think the guy is familiar with Tuff wheels and how they are much smaller than the ol' granny 16" wheels.

We'll see...
Jerry

Excellent info. I think Aaron can make a good case now. We have to stand up to these uneducated goofballs that make it more and more difficult to own and operate our old treasures. The sad part about this is the guy told Aaron he used to own a slant six Volare years ago. You would think he could have let this steering wheel thing slide for the sake of the "brotherhood."

Probably converted to the dark side and became a Chebby guy.

More to come...

Well I hope that I don't run into the same problem. I have that 13.5""tuff wheel" on my duster and the Michigan plates run out in 2016 or whenever I get stopped by Texas finest and they make me register it down here.

-
Back