Steering Wheel

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I want to ditch my 67's black steering wheel as it has cracks in it. I was wondering if anyone is using a wood grain aftermarket wheel. I like the looks of them, without the rivets though. The factory wheels are really nice looking but kinda pricy for a clean one.
Just wondering what you're using on your car. Pics would be a big help.
Thanks!

I've got a black and burlwood aftermarket wheel in mine. It's small diameter wouldn't be user friendly without power steering though.
I had to shorten the signal wand, hunt a 1 inch spacer adapter to get from OEM to momo pattern and re engineer its POS horn switch. Pic at DeMonDIN.com
Good luck with whatever aftermarket wheel you choose.

My best guess is that this is from a Jag XJ6, may even be OEM. I bought it cheap in a junk store. Used a Grant adapter and then made an adapter from it to the wheel. Might have been able to buy one, but figured being a Nardi wheel that the adapter wouldn't be cheep. Had to make the trim ring and the horn button too. I'm rather proud of how nice the linen micarta worked for the button. the black oxide SHCS will be replaced with stainless low head cap screws once I have a few more things that I need from mcmaster.

i-F4snHcj-M.jpg

i-XnfT4Vt-M.jpg

i-N7RpBd3-M.jpg

This is what is have on my fully restored 68 barracuda hemi SS, which I fully recommend you all converting to this, "gansta, CHAOOW".

Attachments

• image.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 380
I bought this 15" wheel for my '69 Chevelle off eBay for around $45. (without the adapter kit)

Attachments

• lll.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 359
I do like that wheel ! The round hole spokes would look better in my car :)

Once I got home from the swap meet, I got on Grantproducts.com and searched to see if they still made it, they do and its $330!!!!! I paid $50 and it came with a Mopar adapter kit as well. I didnt do too bad for once, haha

Here is one from Grant for $153.24 via their website:

377.jpg

http://www.grantproducts.com/products/view/11/

That is a nice looking wheel. The Jag wheel is cool too. I was looking at the Grant web site and I really like the 930 model. It's a GM part, but looks good.
But it's $560.00 plus an install kit.
I also have manual steering so I have to stay close to the factory diameter.

I haven't measured it, but I did put them on top of each other and the Jag wheel wheel is only about an inch smaller OD than the OE '65 Valiant manual wheel that it replaced.
I didn't know what it came from until a friend posted a link to a "Cars for Causes" ebay auction for an XJ6 and it had both the wheel and the strange adapter that mine also came with. Because of this I'm suspecting that that it might be an OE fitment and that more can be found in the junk-yards. However the first 1/2 dozen cars that I just checked on ebay didn't have it. I'm sure that an adapter could be sourced, it was just easier for me to make it.

Here's a pic of my steering wheel. You can see all the cracks in it. It measures 16 inches across and has a 5 inch dish. A 15 inch wheel would be alright but what kind of an adapter would you need for the flatter style wheels?
I kinda like the Grant wood Tuff style wheel but would it look outa place on 67 a A body?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 301
You will like the woodgrain wheel over the stocker. The biggest thing is the lack of horn ring to get in the way. When I turn, because I have manual steering, I grip the wheel from inside and pull to start the turn. Underhanded if you will.
Decent woodgrain wheels can be found for around $100. tmm

Attachments

• 100_4680.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 296
I've been looking for a wood grain 3-spoke for several years.... I like the look of that Nardi! That gets me thinking... might be time to hit up the local junk yards and see what's laying around.

stock wheels with cracks can be fixed with 3M 8115 panel bond. Automotive grade for a high quality repair. After the stuff is sanded then the wheel can be refinished just like any panel on the car. Nothing fits like O.E. parts

Attachments

• post-8605-12845570581.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 155
I've seen a few cracked plastic wheels repaired and refinished....look as good as new but there's just something about a wood wheel that makes me smile. I'm still running my stock '67 black plastic and have debated changing it out but it's in perfect condition and I just can't bring myself to replace it.

-
Back