Sticking Amp Gauge?

-

DionR

Reaction score
Anyone ever had an amp gauge stick in one spot?

Took my Duster to a car club meeting last week and when I left my house the amp gauge came down to about half way between full output and normal and then it just stayed there. I lost 18 months with this car several years ago chasing an overcharging problem that I never solved (it just started working right again) so my heart sunk because I thought the issue was back. Stopped at the gas station to get gas on the way and shut the car off and the gauge didn't move, still at half charge. So I hit the lights and the gauge popped to discharge and then close to middle after I shut the lights off. Seems to be working fine now, I put 100-120 miles on it Saturday and never gave me reason to be concerned.

To be clear, my electrical system is far from stock now. When I had the overcharging issue before, the electrical was completely stock, but now the battery is in the trunk and I just added crackedback's headlight relay kit which would make the amp gauge slightly less accurate since the power for the headlights is direct from the alt. Really don't think either influenced the issue, just making things clear.

I think the issue is all in the gauge, just never heard of the gauge sticking before.

Bypass amp gauge for safety reasons.

That's the plan at some point. Already have a voltmeter to work into the IP.

Are you saying you think the gauge could cause a safety issue since it stuck like that? Or is that a default action statement?

I don't see it causing a safety issue, that is so far as electrically, short, etc. If you ever take one apart you will be amazed "they don't stick more often." They are an inexpensive brass strip which forms the shunt and generates the magnetic field to move the vane and the needle. The needle/ vane just ist in what appears to be cheap "non bearings" LOL. They don't appear to be diamond or anything like that (as in "jeweled movement" watch

I don't see it causing a safety issue, that is so far as electrically, short, etc. If you ever take one apart you will be amazed "they don't stick more often." They are an inexpensive brass strip which forms the shunt and generates the magnetic field to move the vane and the needle. The needle/ vane just ist in what appears to be cheap "non bearings" LOL. They don't appear to be diamond or anything like that (as in "jeweled movement" watch

So it's not unusual for them to stick. Just wasn't sure since I didn't remember seeing it before.

But I will say that all those years ago when I was chasing that overcharging issue, I wonder if it wasn't a sticking amp gauge and not the wiring at all. Wouldn't that just be a kick in the shorts.

Thanks!

Sometimes it's just the needle that rubs or gets caught on the face plate. Annoying, but, doesn't hurt anything or cause any electrical issues. If you have the cluster out and face plate off, you can tweak it a bit so it doesn't rub.

The gauge has a magnet in it. I have used compressed are to clean metal dust off of them. I don't know where it comes from unless its speedometer head wear. I can't imagine where else the nasty inside the housing could come from.

-
Back