Stiffer front shocks

-

wes beem

Reaction score
I recently did the full suspension on my 71 Duster complete with "factory comparable" front shocks.

I dont even have the hood on the car yet but it seems after the car has sat in the garage for a couple months, suddenly the front end is sitting so low i cant get a jack under it.

It wasn't like that until the other day after my first test drive.

Nothing appears to be broken, and after i did finally manage to jack it up it was sitting higher again after i lowered it down, but clearly its just going to keep sagging because these shocks dont have enough ***.

What shocks would y'all recommend?

Sounds like the car settles which is normal after being put on the ground. Take a look at the LCA bump stops. There should be 1/2-1 of clearance when the car is settled. Are the LCA adjusters turned in, as this change ride height. Shocks are only to help dampen the shock of the bumps. Not to change the ride heights.

Couple of things going on here.
First, shocks have nothing to do with ride height (unless they are overload or air shocks)- they simply dampen suspension movement to varying degrees, depending on their valving.
Second, height is set by adjusting the torsion bars. After changing ride height, you MUST bounce the car/roll it around/take it for a drive and then readjust- everything settles as the tires find their "new home" when the suspension is set to a different position in the arc of it's travel.

Front ride height is a function of the torsion bars and their adjusters. Did you replace or remove the bars?

Because everything under the front of the car except those and lower control arms got redone.

-
Back