Still having Alternator problems! Still very Urgent!

-

baucco

Reaction score
So. New Alternator and fresh battery. Still not getting up the the halfway mark on the Alt gauge,power drops when I turn on lights or put engine under load. Where to look now? I have to figure this thing out now! Ideas? This is my only vehicle and I have to get to work today. This sucks.

Bulkhead connector! Many of these have fried internal terminals at the high amperage connections. Pull it appart and clean or replace any corroded terminal. Next check for loose wire connections.

You need a multimeter to do any electrical diagnostics. Very cheap. Search youtube if you don't know how to use one and wikipedia if you don't know what "voltage drop" and "current flow" mean.

P L E A S E do not start a new thread, because now your old thread is disconnected. I see, though, that you have decided to "throw parts" at the problem"

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1779579#post1779579

A partial quote from the original thread

.......... 73 Valiant.......... fine for the first few days,............... came back to find it with a dead battery. I charged the battery and it started,drove to town,parked. Came back 2 hours later,dead again!......................... Alt was bad,replaced it,jumped it,let it run a bit,still couldn't get the amp gauge past the middle .................Drove without lights for a bit,but as soon as I turned them on,lost power. Two more stops and jumps got me home just barely.

Now since that strategy didn't work, you need to get your meter and test light and do some testing.

Turn key to run, engine off. Probe the blue wire going to the althernator field terminal and see if you have power. Pull the regulator connector off. You should have power at both terminals. Identify the GREEN field wire at the regulator and ground it.

Start the engine, slowly bring up RPM and see if it charges. If it does not, it's either a break in the charging line or a bad regulator (or a bad "new" alternator.)

If no charge, move down to the alternator, remove the green field wire and clip that terminal to ground. You should see a small spark. Start the car and slowly bring up the RPM. Voltage at the alternator stud should come up as you increase RPM to 14, 15 V or a LITTLE more. If the voltage goes WAY up, 18-20V or MORE, you have a break in the charging wire on it's way to the ammeter circuit and back to the battery. CHECK the bulkhead connector.

You ALSO need to figure out if you have a system drain on the battery, so go back and read the first post AGAIN

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1779579#post1779579

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm trying to do everything i know and then some. It'll take me a minute to do all of this but I think I'm getting somewhere. I do appreciate the help and the good info on the subject,Dan

-
Back