Still overheating

-
It seems you are going to have to provide a bit more info than you have for any kind of intelligent response. ;)

Since there is little info we'll start at the beginning. Good idea anyway. Did you fill the new radiator?

Is it running hot or is it actually boiling to the point where the engine is making knocking noises?

Ya'll are mean. 1971 440 .030 over. Gas ported pistons. !973 duster. Elgin cam w/ six pack specs. Iron heads, small valves, Demon 850 w/ torker II intake. C.P.P.A under chassis headers. Mallory ignition, and unilight distributor. Mancini 727 w/ full manual valve body and bolt in spreg. 489 sure grip w/ 3.91 gears. Best time 8.13 1/8 w/ cheaters. Probably better now.

Ya'll are mean. 1971 440 .030 over. Gas ported pistons. !973 duster. Elgin cam w/ six pack specs. Iron heads, small valves, Demon 850 w/ torker II intake. C.P.P.A under chassis headers. Mallory ignition, and unilight distributor. Mancini 727 w/ full manual valve body and bolt in spreg. 489 sure grip w/ 3.91 gears. Best time 8.13 1/8 w/ cheaters. Probably better now.

You didn't tell us a thing about your cooling system.

When does it get hot:
Idle?
On the highway?
Both?

What temp is it running?

After market or factory gauge?

What kind of fan do you have?

Do you have a fan shroud?

What temp thermostat do you have?

What's the age and condition of your radiator cap?

Are you running coolant or straight water?

What's the condition of your hoses?

Does your lower hose have a spring in it?

You didn't tell us a thing about your cooling system.

When does it get hot:
Idle?
On the highway?
Both?

What temp is it running?

After market or factory gauge?

What kind of fan do you have?

Do you have a fan shroud?

What temp thermostat do you have?

What's the age and condition of your radiator cap?

Are you running coolant or straight water?

What's the condition of your hoses?

Does your lower hose have a spring in it?

This ^^^^ Bingo

All very good questions. New radiator cap, 50/50 mix. 190 thermostat. Seemsto run hot after hot rodding. If i drove it normally it wouldn't get hot. If I've missed anything,,,,

Oh yeah, Shrourd is very cool. Two fans mounted with holes cut for the fans. They come on at 180. Seems to be after a 5 mi run.

may be a dumb question... but what temp do you see on the gauge when you feel its overheating?

All very good questions. New radiator cap, 50/50 mix. 190 thermostat. Seemsto run hot after hot rodding. If i drove it normally it wouldn't get hot. If I've missed anything,,,,

All very good questions that should not have had to have been asked. You asked for help. It's your job to provide as much information as possible without us having to pull information out of you like pullin teeth. Most everybody on here loves to help people, but when you make it difficult, that's an instant turnoff. But we're "mean" simply for wanting the information you should have included in the first place.

:wack:

I would like to see a pic of the fan mounting. If you have a mounting plate with 2 holes for the fans, that could be your problem. We have seen this more than once.

Make sure the motor has the rite drive pulleys on it.... Pick up a 180* thermostat.....
Pick up the 6 or 7 blade Viscus fan and clutch.... Install a full fan shroud..... reinstall your 50/50 mix with 1 bottle of redlines water wetter....

:)

There is no spring in the bottom hose. I don't think 220 is overheating but it is hotter than I'd like it to be. I apoligize for my vagueness. I may have been under the influence when I started this thread.:tongue3:

Attachments

• radiator 1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 435
  • radiator 2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 436
There is no spring in the bottom hose. I don't think 220 is overheating but it is hotter than I'd like it to be. I apoligize for my vagueness. I may have been under the influence when I started this thread.:tongue3:

You have a nice big radiator blocked by an aluminum plate. That's your problem.

If that is the Champion radiator shroud get rid of it. My dad had on one on his 440 in a Coronet and it would overheat just cruising on a 70 deg day. Removed shroud, drove with no fan and all and it stopped overheating on the same day and same temperature.

-
Back