Still Retain Any Kindergarten Memories?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Some of these images may be "false memories", meaning maybe I got them mixed up with dreams (or real scenarios in other places/times). Regardless, this is what I can put together now at the ripe old age of 68.

1) I attended kinder from Fall 1960 to Spring of 1961 at Bagby Elementary in San Jose, CA. I was five years old.
2) The first day of school, my parents drove me a few blocks from home to the bus stop. At the end of the day, I began to cry on the bus after I had forgotten to get off the bus at my stop. Somehow or other I was soon reunited with mother.
3) There was an older student that would wait at the bus stop with me in a higher grade level who once (or more often) pushed me to the ground. I believe it was a girl.
4) Every day we would greet the teacher saying: "Good morning Misses Moody".
5) I was attracted to a girl with dark hair styled in a pageboy (probably never spoke to her).
6) On a regular basis, I was removed from class and taken either alone or with a smaller group where we would play games and stuff (using puppets, for example). This most likely was some kind of speech "therapy" because as a youngster I had difficult pronouncing some sounds correctly.
7) We all made some kind of clay object and put a marble in the middle. When this artistic creation was returned to us, the clay had been baked in an oven and the glass marble had melted into the clay. Most likely this was or at least resembled an ashtray. This was a gift for Mom and Dad.
8) At the end of the school year, we were given a small piece of the vegetable that we had planted earlier in the school year. In our case, this was radish. I was surprised to find how bitter the radish tasted, quite disagreeable considering I expected it to be something delicious.
9) We were given several options of available activities we could select during designated free time. I remember choosing to water paint often (usually painted houses). I never developed any skill in that artistic endeavor at all. Another activity was building fort-like things with giant blocks.
10) We all had blankets and would lie down every day at a designated hour for either nap time or quiet time.

Bagby Elementary School.jpeg

When I went to school, we didn't have kiddiegarden. 1957 1st grade, in a catholic school, full of nuns. NO LAY TEACHER UNTIL 1962. Every nun had 15-20 rullers in the drawer. You did not sass back cause they would tell the priest and he had a direct line to God. If he called God, you was in BIG TROUBLE. More hits to the hand than Mike Tyson hit his opponents. The nuns only joy was when the next load of rulers arrived. Oh boy, the good Ole days.

i went to public school as a kindergartner as stated above. Then I attended Catholic School grades one through eight (all Presentation Nuns except third grade teacher Miss Hardy). At St. Christopher School in San Jose (graduated 1969) I don't remember any rulers or hitting of students.

On the other hand, my mother (born 1920) attended one room grade school back in the day (Air Point School: Milpitas, CA) and was tapped on the left hand anytime she tried to hold a pencil or pen in her left hand (she was left-handed). She was therefore forced to learn to write with her right hand (and somehow she ended up with pretty penmanship). I understand this was a common school practice back in that period of history.

Last edited:
i went to public school as a kindergartner as stated above. Then I attended Catholic School grades one through eight (all Presentation Nuns except third grade teacher Miss Hardy). At St. Christopher School in San Jose (graduated 1969) I don't remember any rulers or hitting of students.

On the other hand, my mother (born 1920) attended one room grade school back in the day (Air Point School: Milpitas, CA) and was tapped on the left hand anytime she tried to hold a pencil or pen in her left hand (she was left-handed). She was therefore forced to learn to write with her right hand (and somehow she ended up with pretty penmanship). I understand this was a common school practice back in that period of history.
Yep. Left hand was considered the Devils hand. I had mine smacked plenty.
Thats why I'm ambidextrous today I guess.

Yep. Left hand was considered the Devils hand. I had mine smacked plenty.
Thats why I'm ambidextrous today I guess.
My mom actually had training spoons that if I ate with the left hand the food pointed away from my mouth. Forced right handed and also ambidextrous now.

I always wondered how it would be to power-shift a right-hand drive car (i.e. Great Britain, Australia vehicles) using the shift lever in my left-hand.

St Bernard Grade School Pittsburgh.
I always thought nuns were mean too.
I heard the stories about left handers.
My grandmother was a lefty, her handwriting was terrible.

I always wondered how it would be to power-shift a right-hand drive car (i.e. Great Britain, Australia vehicles) using the shift lever in my left-hand.
Drove my grandfather's 29 and 39 rolls both righthand drive cars. Fun cars they were. I called them the Herman Munster cars.

I attended kinder from Fall 1960
Well you have a heck of a memory if you remember all that.
The only thing I really remember is I cried the first day.
One day Mom sent an old woman to pick me up after. She had an old early 50 Chevy most likely and was sawing the steering wheel back and forth. That thing must of had a half turn play in the system :lol:

4583AE04-A2B4-4173-9DF8-74D8414D36FA.jpeg

Sure do! Like it was last month! Well cuz it was for our oldest. He is digging it so far.

I was in Cedar Rapids in 1975. I had to walk one block down, one over, cross a street and then two more blocks down. The one time I took the shortcut with my “girlfriend” I got a belt lickin. Always wondered how dad knew. We had tornado drills there too.

Lu `au. Got sick and puked. Haven't had pineapple since.

Shift a VW bug from the passenger seat.

No kindergarten memories that I can recall ( is that redundant).

When I got stationed in England I bought British cars. First a Datsun B210, then a Ford Grenda. Both were manual. I don't remember having any issues shifting. And I am not ambidextrous!!

I do remember driving to the car insurance office on Base. Went in, got insurance, came out and got in my car...and...no steering wheel. I got into the American driver's side :BangHead: True story.

Don't really remember kinder or much of 1st grade, except my friend (Lee Myers - I still remember his name and haven't seen him since 1st or 2nd grade) cried and cried the first day of 1st grade.

My earliest real memory was from before I started school, however. Our neighborhood was brand new in 1964 and many homes were not quite completed. My mom was visiting with another mom on our street and I was just hanging out by the house next door to the other lady. I sat down on the front porch when all of a sudden I had a huge burning fire-like pain in my groin and in my legs. I had sat over a red ant hill...My mom came out to my screams and quickly got my pants off...

Yes sir it was 1976... 4 year old kindergarten and one of the little girl couldn't keep her clothes on we were in an out of the little play houses on recess and I don't think that girl wore clothes have the time..teacher caught her half the time...some kids couldn't even wipe there own ***....lmfao....I was a lil man....those were the days... metal Lee Majors lunch box with plaid thermos

Went to kindergarten at the local YMCA in Dundalk (part of Baltimore, MD) in 1961. At the end of the year we put on a show for the parents and the theme was the circus. I must have been doing well because I was the Ringmaster. The clearest memory I have was being absolutely fascinated by Charlotte the Snakecharmer!

Some of these images may be "false memories", meaning maybe I got them mixed up with dreams (or real scenarios in other places/times). Regardless, this is what I can put together now at the ripe old age of 68.

1) I attended kinder from Fall 1960 to Spring of 1961 at Bagby Elementary in San Jose, CA. I was five years old.
2) The first day of school, my parents drove me a few blocks from home to the bus stop. At the end of the day, I began to cry on the bus after I had forgotten to get off the bus at my stop. Somehow or other I was soon reunited with mother.
3) There was an older student that would wait at the bus stop with me in a higher grade level who once (or more often) pushed me to the ground. I believe it was a girl.
4) Every day we would greet the teacher saying: "Good morning Misses Moody".
5) I was attracted to a girl with dark hair styled in a pageboy (probably never spoke to her).
6) On a regular basis, I was removed from class and taken either alone or with a smaller group where we would play games and stuff (using puppets, for example). This most likely was some kind of speech "therapy" because as a youngster I had difficult pronouncing some sounds correctly.
7) We all made some kind of clay object and put a marble in the middle. When this artistic creation was returned to us, the clay had been baked in an oven and the glass marble had melted into the clay. Most likely this was or at least resembled an ashtray. This was a gift for Mom and Dad.
8) At the end of the school year, we were given a small piece of the vegetable that we had planted earlier in the school year. In our case, this was radish. I was surprised to find how bitter the radish tasted, quite disagreeable considering I expected it to be something delicious.
9) We were given several options of available activities we could select during designated free time. I remember choosing to water paint often (usually painted houses). I never developed any skill in that artistic endeavor at all. Another activity was building fort-like things with giant blocks.
10) We all had blankets and would lie down every day at a designated hour for either nap time or quiet time.

View attachment 1716149321

1971 City school. 5 cents for milk, 6 for chocolate. Finger painting, nap time, play time. I remember going into a room like a closet to learn letters. The teacher's aid would hold up a big card and you had to sound the letter. We had a reading time as well. The smell of the paints still resonate. The best was when dad's 68 Tempest would break down and he would borrow grandpa's 1970 grabber blue Mach 1 to pick me up. Even at 5 I knew it was a cool car.

No Kindergarten... 1st Grade in Anchorage Alaska... Second Grade in San Antonio Tx.... Lets talk about weather shock.... Third Grade, Salina Kansas... Forth Grade Atwater California... Fifth Grade Madrid Spain... Sixth & Seventh Grade Adana Turkey.... Eighth Grade Las Vegas Nevada....

I have pre-school memories circa 1971-2

I remember having a plastic train with many cars, and another kid stealing cars. DICK.

I remember them having a 1/20 scale traffic light demonstration 4 way intersection diorama with red, blue and yellow 1964 imaplas.
The cars were heavy with steel plates that triggered the timers for the traffic lights.
That thing was huge and rarely brought out.

I remember a hippie family living next door that had kids.
The kids had a tin lithograph friction powered rolls royce that must have been almost a foot wide and close to 2 feet long.
I clearly remember hearing "Mama Told Me Not To Come" by Three Dog Night coming from that house on multiple occasions.

I also remember being served cold spaghetti frequently. Yuck.

In KG, about the only thing I clearly remember is figuring out, based on personality traits, who would be best as what Star Trek characters.
I cast myself as Spock.

Early in first grade, the public school couldn't handle me.

I was diagnosed as "hyperactive" and told I needed to be on meds to continue go to school.

I was withdrawn from public school and placed in an experimental start-up private school that sought to reach across communities and socio-economic backgrounds with funding assistance, and to address class size.

I did much better there, but was still a hand full.

I'm still a hand full.

-
Back