Stock 340 dyno tests?

-
This also reminds me of head porters. There all beating there chest that the other guys bench is full of ****, normally claiming it’s reading high and happy AF and/or the other guy doesn’t know how to port his way out of a paper bag.

I like before and after results from the same bench.

You have to remember, dyno output is just a number. Every dyno is a bit different. If you have a race car and need maximum horsepower for the class you are running in, a dyno can get you started but tuning at the track puts icing on the cake. If you et race, those last few ponies might just mean a different dial in. If you are a street guy, dyno numbers are just bragging rights. Shop around for the fattest dyno numbers you can buy. Then puff out your chest and brag about your 500 horse 318. :rofl: :rofl:

Oh and figuring out horsepower from et and mph is just a formula. You get close.

To me it seem like some track guys have dyno trust issues, guess cause a dyno operators can fudge the results bit, and I guess from a bunch of braggarts that say they dyno X hp but come up far short of that on the track, can't really fudge an et/mph. But is ridiculous to trash dynos as an unreliable tool, I imagine anyone serious about their engine doesn't wants fake unreliable dyno results.
Did You not read post#183? If a dyno shop is willing to Bullshit number an already accomplished individual, that has as many dyno runs under His belt as nearly any other individual out there, why would You believe they won't do it for Joe Ego??
Lots of Folks with big $$$$$, & Egos to match, want to show off big dyno curves on a sheet of paper.....I've known the "probably makin' around XXXHP" types, & You could never get them to run when I street raced, & if they had a great dyno sheet they didn't need to race You to prove it..the few You could talk into runnin' would never get talked into it again.
As far as a "reliable tool", it sure can be, I'm not telling anyone not to use one....but if JRob wasn't a class act, He could tell You some of the dyno BS that went down during Engine Masters Competition. This thread was started to get as much real stock 340HP dyno testing available to get a feel for real unmolested numbers, knowing there'd be variation, the more input to avg. the better an accurate pic of it. As was common knowledge, magazine road-test cars were "tuned/hot" for great press, so those came w/a grain of salt. It's not that You couldn't duplicate it, but they were NOT running that off the showroom floors.

I'm sure the Man that started this thread has His own stories too BTW.

Performance varies from a lot of factors, location, times year, weather, altitude, state of tune/setup etc.. Track to track, dyno to dyno, the trick is to find away to compare and process available information from all these variables to be able to make informed decisions.

Your performance is conditional to the circumstances of the moment.

My feelings even though I’ve never had an engine on a dyno is the capability of getting the fuel curve, timing advance, header size, carbs, manifold improvements, things on that order real close in the shortest possible time. How many pulls can one get in a day under the same weather condition? At a track maybe 4-5 under changing conditions. Numbers are just guide lines to see what works or don’t imo

Last edited:
My feelings even though I’ve never had an engine on a dyno is the capability of getting the fuel curve, timing advance, header size, carbs, manifold improvements, things on that Oder real close in the shortest possible time. How many pulls can one get in a day under the same weather condition? At a track maybe 4-5 under changing conditions. Numbers are just guide lines to see what works or don’t imo
And THAT is why using a dyno can be beneficial. I agree with you 100% there. Unfortunately though, unless you have a generous friend with a dyno, it's a pretty expensive proposition for most people.

And THAT is why using a dyno can be beneficial. I agree with you 100% there. Unfortunately though, unless you have a generous friend with a dyno, it's a pretty expensive proposition for most people.
But if that engine goes because it was too lean that’s costly also.

-
Back