stock stromberg carburator.

-

piperdrums

Reaction score
I don't see many people talking about the Stromberg carburator, is this a problem carb? most of the post I see are about Carters. I would like to keep the stock 2bb carb but is there a beter 2bb otion?

Thanks,

Some of the early 70s 318 2bbl carbs livened the early 273 2bbl engines up. I seem to recall a wider spread base, but not certain.

My friend put one off a 73 coronet 318 car.on his 66 dart, and it was a noticeable change. I think he did intake and all.

I have a Stromberg off of my 64 Belvedere Poly 318.The car only had 12,000 miles on it when removed for a 4 barrel. I do believe that the bolt pattern is larger than the later Carter BBD's. I'm not sure but the Stromberg may have the same pattern as the Holley that came on the 360 and 400 2 barrel's. I think that they were a very good carb and yes, you don't see them around much. I kept it thinking that someday it would be good to use on a slant six with the proper adapter.

i have rebuilt a few Strombergs. there seems to be no trouble with them. i like carters. the carter 2 bbls use the called out float level same with the Stromberg. but on the AFB you can run 5/16 float level called out 7/32.. i came to this idea by the build sheets showing different levels, for AFBs.

I have a larger 2 bbl intake and carb laying around that I pulled of my 77 360 ramcharger. I know its the larger pattern. Ran well when I pulled it.

So I have to recant my earlier post. A friend brought to my attention that there were two Stromberg 2 bbl carbs that Mopar used. 1 for the 273 and 318 poly, and a larger 2 bbl for the 361 and 383. They shared the wider bolt pattern with the later Holley carbs like on the 2 bbl 360 and 400 engines.

My 65 C-body 383 had a 2 bbl (Bendix?) Stromberg WWC. It ran OK when I bought the car, but seemed to get worse over time. The car would boil over sometimes (lean?). If you can fit the base, next concern is the air cleaner since I think it has a bigger diameter than a Carter BBD, but smaller than a 4 bbl, but there are plastic adapters for that on ebay.

-
Back