stock to autometer wiring

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
PART ONE: I have my 72 Demon dash on the bench. I am installing Autometer gauges. These will include speedometer, tachometer (with MSD 6AL), oil pressure, temperature, volt meter, and fuel gauge. So I installed the gauges into a new plastic dash insert to hold them in place. I noticed there was no place for directional signals and high beam light, so I purchased small LED lights with chrome bezels and drilled holes for them. I then picked up rolls of 18G wire to match the colors of the stock wires which went to the original printed circuit instrument cluster by way of the round plug with all the prongs. I cut the round plug off the harness and using 3M brand crimp and heat seal connectors I added a couple feet of the same color wire to each wire and labeled them to where they go. Next I needed to wire the gauges lighting so they would function when the light switch is pulled on. The gauges I bought were the LED gauges which have nice plug spade terminals on the backs for easy on off connections. Basically, the lighting side is only a 12v feed and a ground. So I took the Orange (instrument lamp) wire and ran it to the positive side of all the gauges led lights. I bought what is called piggy back push on spade connectors in the 3M brand which have the crimp and heat melt insulation. These piggy back connectors allow me to just jump from one gauge to the next and also give me the ability to be able to just pull one gauge and unplug it if it needs service at a later time. So this should take care of all the lights when the parking/headlight switch is pulled on. That was easy LOL.
PART TWO:
Next I needed to wire each gauge to its corresponding color wire from the round plug I cut from the original harness. They are as follows.
a. TEMP GAUGE: Simply take the Violet wire and run it to the Instrument terminal on the back of the gauge. I used again the 3M connectors with the crimp and heat melt insulation. I keep saying this as it makes it easy to unplug them and the heat melt insulation makes for a very nice tight connection plus the 3M ones are made of much better, thicker material and the insulation melts real tight to the wires. Don't use the cheap crap made in China they sell everywhere. I got mine from a place called Dell City and also from Grainger.
b. OIL PRESSURE GAUGE: Simply take the Gray wire and run it to the Instrument Terminal on the back of the gauge using the same connectors.
c. FUEL GAUGE: The fuel gauge would be the Dark Blue wire, which would also connect to the Instrument terminal on the fuel gauge. This was a little tricky because I found out the LED AutoMeter gauges I bought with the LED lights did not come in the correct ohm range to properly work with my fuel sending unit. So, I had to change that one gauge and buy the same gauge with the same looking bezel and printing, but it only came in the standard light bulb type. So unless you get all standard gauges, the lighting will be different. So what I did was to use the red/orange light bulb cover on that one gauge and it will just glow with a red/orange tint to indicate fuel. My mistake, but I think it will look OK.
d. VOLT METER GAUGE; This is another tricky one: To eliminate the AMP GAUGE, I simply took the 12G black and 12G red amp wires and soldered them together real good so there will never be any heat buildup under the dash. I then covered the solder with the heat melt tape and then some friction tape for a permanent tight connection. So, now the new VOLTMETER needs a keyed 12V source, but so do all the previous gauges above. So this is where the DARK BLUE w/WHITE TRACE comes in. Using the same 3M piggy back connectors, you can run the wire to the 12V side of the VOLTMETER gauge and then jump from there to the next gauge which in the end would give you a 12V ignition keyed circuit so when the key is off, there is no power drawer to any of the gauges.
e: SPEEDOMETER: This gauge comes with a sending unit that screws onto the connection on the tranny and because this is going from a mechanical to an electrical pulse, I will be running a 12V feed off one of the piggy back gauges and then down to the sending unit.
f: TACHOMETER: Same as the SPEEDOMER in that I will be running the 12V to the MSD BOX.
G BRAKE LIGHT: This was the little LED red light I drilled into the dash. This simply gets spliced 20G Black wire.
H: HIGH BEAM INDICATOR: again a small BLUE LED light which I spliced to the 18G RED wire.
I: TURN SIGNAL INDICATORS: I used two green LED lamps and these get wired to LIGHT GREEN 18G wire for the left and TAN 18G for the right.
J: INSTRUMENT GROUNDS: Now all of these instrument gauges need to now have a ground wire. You can again take the piggy back 3M terminals and jump from one gauge to the next to make up the ground side in which then I can ground it to a good ground probably in or under the dash side mounting bolt.

At any rate, This is what I so far have done. I will post a few pictures in a day or two. But, not being an electrical minded person, I wanted to share this with others, as I have searched for a topic like this and have not found one anywhere. If there is anything that anybody sees here that looks as though it will be an issue or will not work, please chime in here as I am an amateur and can use all the advice I can get. Pictures to follow. But my goal was to be able to isolate and remove any instrument gauge by just unplugging it and this is what I came up with.....

On your original printed circuit board, the blue with white powered the stock gauge voltage limiter and the park brake lamp. The switches at hand brake mechanism and proportion valve supply a ground via the black wire to turn the lamp on.
Just another place that blue w/white needs to go.

On your original printed circuit board, the blue with white powered the stock gauge voltage limiter and the park brake lamp. The switches at hand brake mechanism and proportion valve supply a ground via the black wire to turn the lamp on.
Just another place that blue w/white needs to go.

I knew there was something about that black wire only being 20G? So if I am understanding you, the black wire is actually a ground that needs to be grounded?? And now I need to feed the parking brake lamp somehow with the blue w/white trace? How and where can I make the connections for this part of the circuitry? I will update the above post where the parking brake is, to reflect the correct information. How should that area read? Hey Thanks....

my autometer tach must be different. it has 4 connections, GND LAMP SIG 12V
12V goes to keyed ign 12v source and SIG goes to the tach wire from the MSD

other thing i'm doing different... every gauge has an incandescent bulb with a little green condom or a little red condom. i got LED replacements (i wanted amber, they have 99 different colors) the only funny thing about the LED's is you have to try them if they dont work flip them because they have a +/- that are not labelled

will post a link for the source where i got the LED bulbs
www.autolumination.com

they are "194" bulb replacements, be sure to get the "inverted" since they are wide angle

look for "194 168 W5W 2825 Inverted Lenses"
on this page (close to the bottom):
http://www.autolumination.com/autom...68_161_158/194_t10_2825_w5w_all_led_bulbs.htm

my autometer tach must be different. it has 4 connections, GND LAMP SIG 12V
12V goes to keyed ign 12v source and SIG goes to the tach wire from the MSD

other thing i'm doing different... every gauge has an incandescent bulb with a little green condom or a little red condom. i got LED replacements (i wanted amber, they have 99 different colors) the only funny thing about the LED's is you have to try them if they dont work flip them because they have a +/- that are not labelled

will post a link for the source where i got the LED bulbs
www.autolumination.com

they are "194" bulb replacements, be sure to get the "inverted" since they are wide angle

look for "194 168 W5W 2825 Inverted Lenses"
on this page (close to the bottom):
http://www.autolumination.com/autom...68_161_158/194_t10_2825_w5w_all_led_bulbs.htm

No you are correct. The TACH does have four terminals. One is the signal which I need to run to the MSD and the other is 12V which in my case can be tied into the BLUE w/WHITE TRACE to work off the ignition switch. Also, I need to state that I originally bought what is known as the Designer Black II gauges. These are exactly the same as the Designer Black but the Designer Black are analog gauges and the Designer Black II are the LED gauges. The LED are built right into the gauges. My issue was that the Designer Black II that I bought in the FUEL GAUGE was not the correct 73 to 10 ohm rating and they did not make it for that rating. So rather than undo all the gauges, I had to buy the Designer Black Analog, which does come in 73-10 ohms. Only problem was that the analog light bulb would be a different white light, so I am just adding the red/orange cover to that one gauge so at night it will light up RED and the rest will be white. I think that will be OK and just be a look I chose? I will definitely make changes to my original post to include your information. Thanks for the input. I hope this is helpful to others.

I knew there was something about that black wire only being 20G? So if I am understanding you, the black wire is actually a ground that needs to be grounded?? And now I need to feed the parking brake lamp somehow with the blue w/white trace? How and where can I make the connections for this part of the circuitry? I will update the above post where the parking brake is, to reflect the correct information. How should that area read? Hey Thanks....

Not getting it. Every lamp on the inst' panel gets a chassis ground righ there on the panel except for the park brake lamp. It is isolated from chassis ground at the panel. 2 contact pins on the circuit board are routed to it. One is hot at ign' switch on. The other goes to a switch ( via the black wire ) that provides ground/completes the circuit at switch closed.

Not getting it. Every lamp on the inst' panel gets a chassis ground righ there on the panel except for the park brake lamp. It is isolated from chassis ground at the panel. 2 contact pins on the circuit board are routed to it. One is hot at ign' switch on. The other goes to a switch ( via the black wire ) that provides ground/completes the circuit at switch closed.

Oh, OK. So I need to run (in my case) the blue with the white trace (switched 12V) to the parking brake lamp. The 20Ga black goes to the emergency brake switch located on the ebrake and it completes the circuit when that switch is closed. Is that correct? Or am I still NOT getting it??

Oh, OK. So I need to run (in my case) the blue with the white trace (switched 12V) to the parking brake lamp. The 20Ga black goes to the emergency brake switch located on the ebrake and it completes the circuit when that switch is closed. Is that correct? Or am I still NOT getting it??

yep, switched 12 volts to one side of the lamp and black to the other side of the lamp.

yep, switched 12 volts to one side of the lamp and black to the other side of the lamp.

I think I see it. I actually ran the black wire to one side of the lamp and then I grounded the other side of the lamp in series with the other lamps/gauges? So if I am getting this right, the way it is wired now, that light will not even light up? Now the gray oil lamp wire, will now go to the oil pressure gauge sender terminal, with the blue/w white trace feeding it power and also have the ground on the ground terminal? I am going to post a few pictures of this mess shortly, so keep an eye out. I can see why printed circuits are so much neater.

Attachments

• IMG_2164_1513.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_2165_1514.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 433
I think I see it. I actually ran the black wire to one side of the lamp and then I grounded the other side of the lamp in series with the other lamps/gauges? So if I am getting this right, the way it is wired now, that light will not even light up? Now the gray oil lamp wire, will now go to the oil pressure gauge sender terminal, with the blue/w white trace feeding it power and also have the ground on the ground terminal? I am going to post a few pictures of this mess shortly, so keep an eye out. I can see why printed circuits are so much neater.

Pictures are here. You can barely see the indicator lights up the top. Brown wire to turn signal. Black wire is going to ebrake light. That is the one that you are saying is wrong. Orange wires are from the orange in the harness for all the panel gauge lights and all the whites are grounds. I am still working on a few of the gauges so a couple wires are not yet to their respective gauge. Also the blue with white tracer needs to be fed to all the gauges for switched power through the ignition switch. I soldered the two amp meter wires together (red/black 12G) and put heat shrink over them.

Thank you guys for this post.
I was actually going to start one on same subject, but used the search function and found this post.

I am doing the same thing on a a 73 Duster cut the plug and wire Auto meter gauges in.

Just to clarify the brake switch, blue/white trace to + on the light and 20g black is used for the ground. Correct?

Thank you guys for this post.
I was actually going to start one on same subject, but used the search function and found this post.

I am doing the same thing on a a 73 Duster cut the plug and wire Auto meter gauges in.

Just to clarify the brake switch, blue/white trace to + on the light and 20g black is used for the ground. Correct?

Yes, That is the way the schematic reads. Redfish helped me with this as I originally had it grounded with everything else but it needs to be by itself. Black is the ground which goes to the push switch which is bolted to the steering column in line with the brake pedal.

Is there a direct connection from the stock harness to the turn/brights indicator? I was going to do a intellitronix create a dash and this is a concern I had as well, also where did you get your led's for the signals

Is there a direct connection from the stock harness to the turn/brights indicator? I was going to do a intellitronix create a dash and this is a concern I had as well, also where did you get your led's for the signals

I had to chase down the colored wires for each. Left turn signal, right turn signal, high beam indicator and wire each LED to its appropriate wire color. Hopefully you have a manual with the wiring diagram color/wire sizes? I got the LED indicators on ebay just doing a search for LED indicator lights.

Just to update this thread.
If you run a mechanical Auto meter speedometer, buy the cable from NAPA for 65 Dart it is the proper 63" length and fits!!!! $20.00

Mods need to make this a sticky, I searched over 4 hrs on the net unitl I found this post.

Just to update this thread.
If you run a mechanical Auto meter speedometer, buy the cable from NAPA for 65 Dart it is the proper 63" length and fits!!!! $20.00

Mods need to make this a sticky, I searched over 4 hrs on the net unitl I found this post.

I am running an electronic speedometer. They gave me a device that screws on where the speedo cable goes and has electrical connections for wires to run to the speedo. I understand that I will also have to calibrate the speedo once it is powered on. That's why my speedo is stuck at 40MPH fresh out of the box. AutoMeter tech set me straight on that.....

Nice tip thinking about doing same thing on my 72 duster as I bought complete set from eBay bezel with complete set of guages except no wiring which isn't included. Is there several ways to do it on this set up?

-
Back