stock torque converter ?s

-

rigger3006

Reaction score
trans shop told me my stock torque converter is shot because my engine with 284/484 cam dies at a stoplight unless i keep the revs up a little bit.does this sound right? he says most people destroy their tc's by idling too much in park? any thoughts?

Not sure about his theory, but you do need a looser converter. I have a 2500 stall in mine with that cam and make a big diff.

yeah, i had a hughes 3000, blew front pump bushing, that converters hooped, i was going to put in small vvodoo cam and my old converter which worked fine with a 340 cam, but the shop guy figures its no good cause it wouldnt work with the bigger cam

Yep. Stock converter in my 440 with a 284 .528 cam. Idle set at 1400 RPM in park and it is at roughly 500 in drive. I am buying a 2800 stall this week.

Yep. Stock converter in my 440 with a 284 .528 cam. Idle set at 1400 RPM in park and it is at roughly 500 in drive. I am buying a 2800 stall this week.

haha i have a 400 with .509 cam 2500 stall... idle park 1300 in gear barely run 500 rpm

i know the high stalls work with the bigger cams, am wondering if hes on right track about stock converters being able to run with a big cam?

the age old question....timing?

initial timing...around 20 degrees will help that cam idle in gear....

i know the high stalls work with the bigger cams, am wondering if hes on right track about stock converters being able to run with a big cam?

No, stock converters don't play well with big cams.

i agree with u tmm, and my initial was 21, just a dog til 3000 rpm, good news from trans shop, torque converters ok, just waiting for quote on redbuild

big cams produce a fraction of the torque at idle that a stock cam makes, and that doesnt like to turn a tight stock convertor, hence the huge drag on a big cam in D. Loose are just that, sloppy so there is almost no torque transmission (or parasitic loss) at idle. Of course this is all done in a very precision way.

trans shop told me my stock torque converter is shot because my engine with 284/484 cam dies at a stoplight unless i keep the revs up a little bit.does this sound right? he says most people destroy their tc's by idling too much in park? any thoughts?
Agreed..
Want more defined answers? List the whole combination, FABO won't steer you wrong.

i agree with u tmm, and my initial was 21, just a dog til 3000 rpm, good news from trans shop, torque converters ok, just waiting for quote on redbuild

ouch... gonna hate to see that rebuild bill..... converter needs to go anyway while your trans is out.... cant be using that stock converter...

sorry bout confusion, i had 3000 hughes in when i blew trans, i told shop i would use old tc and throw in a milder voodoo cam, he said if my old stock tc had issues with 284/484 cam is because it was shot from idling in park too much. just wanted an opinion on his theory

sorry bout confusion, i had 3000 hughes in when i blew trans, i told shop i would use old tc and throw in a milder voodoo cam, he said if my old stock tc had issues with 284/484 cam is because it was shot from idling in park too much. just wanted an opinion on his theory

Idling in park?? That makes no sense cause there's no load on the converter when in neutral/park. The pump is turning and oiling things in park/neutral so nothing is running dry so I don't have a clue why he'd say that.

BTW: 3 yrs. ago a fellow moved near me that was from Pennsylvania and he had a Challenger with a healthy 440 (284/484 cam) and had been running the stock converter in it since 1986 when they built the car and it was still working fine other than being a slug on takeoff and having to idle it kinda high like you. I helped him install a Hughes 2500 converter and naturally it runs a lot better. We gave his old converter to a guy and he's still running it today and doing fine.

thanks fishy68, my thoughts exactly! was just wondering about his theory, you never know what you can learn from people. i live in a very small town with only 2 mopars, my demon and the wifes duster, so i dont really have anyone to talk to about stuff like this except on fabo here!

-
Back