Stolen Checks = Late Rent

-
You better start watching your checking account, the scam is they will scan your check and erase the payee info and write them out to someone. Then they will go to a shelter and get guys with id to cash the check. I know, some SB from a vender that i dealt with sold scans of my shop checks and the thrusday before christmas this year with 5 checks emptied my shop account. The cops dont care, to much trouble to deal with. They know how they do it, i know where the check was copied from but no one can prove who did. So I they lost 3500 - 5000 mo customer and the bank lost a ton for taking checks they should not have because of the safeties built into the checks. Had to max my personal cc's to cover payrole and xmas bonus's.

Wow, geez that REALLY sucks.

I have been thinking about this some more. Are the banks different in Colorado because as a business owner in Oklahoma I can't "CASH" any check with a business name on it. It has to be deposited and then withdrawn. The only exception to that I have ever found is to take it to the issuing bank and have them roll it over to a "Certified Cashier's Check" and even that check is made to the original business name. I have done this when I was worried about a check still being good by the time it went through the banking system.

Yeah, I've been wondering this myself. The only way they could cash is to wash the check then write to themself or someone else, but that would even seem suspicious if I was a banker and got multiple checks from random people to just one guy. But I guess if he goes to multiple banks like that and cashes a few at a time it might work......I'm still stuck on someone in managment did it though, lol.

Better hope those same maintenance guys dont have master keys.

I've known the 2 head maintenance men since we've lived here and they both seem like very genuine good men. However, they've added a few in the last few months, some being "interns" or something like that. There's a couple that seem kinda shady to me but that's just going off looks. Never really know though.

I hope they don't charge you a late fee.

Once you dropped the check in the designated drop box, it's their check as you've relinquished control of it. If they tell you there is a late fee, I'd counter with this.

Good luck and those situation always suck. the other bad part is not only can they wash the checks of original payees, they also have all the info to make a fake set of checks.

I very much agree Bad Sport.

The thing is, is they didn't seem the least bit concerned about it at all, like, just another day at the office. Like I said before, they didn't even say they let the cops know, just said they wouldn't do much anyways.

Another "red flag" I hate to say it but it could be them doing it.

Just a tip for writing checks...use a gel pen...can't be erased with a chemical solution like ink.

Go old school boys, an old ball point pen leaves an impression in the paper.
No washing will take it away.

Remember running a pencil on a piece of note paper?

Thanks Okla. Just discussing with the wife again, and at an average of lets say $700 on each payment, that's nearly $19,000. And that would be guessing if every payment was for a 1bdrm apt!!

I think someone in managment is making out pretty good on this one, then just telling the property owners that someone is breaking into the boxes.

She said that if the check has been cashed then they would just go ahead and credit it to us for the month and not to worry about it, but we can go ahead and try to do a stop payment with our bank......hmmmmm?

This sounds fishy to me too. I would call the cops myself and send them to the office.

While it will cost you a few bucks you can mail it certified with a return receipt. Someone in the office will have to sign for it. If your rent disappears again you have some proof that it was someone in the office.

Can you access your bank account from online? I print out copies of my canceled checks to staple to statements for things like medical bills. My bank allows me access to front and back views. I can see endorsements and the banks where they were cashed/deposited, even the branches.

Someone had to endorse your check. Some bank branch somewhere had to cash it.

He didn't say that it had been cashed.

Get rid of that checkbook! Most banks have free Billpay and others have minimal charges for it. Checks have way too much personal info and are not traceable until they are cashed.

"Lost" bills has happened to me a few times. The last time it happened was 8 years ago when I stopped using checks all together. I have been using MSN Billpay ever since. A few times since then our check has gotten "lost" or misplaced by landlords and bill collectors. After I get a late notice I just email MSN BP, they contact the biller directly and take care of everything. This $5 a month service has saved me over $2000, and a lot of headache in the last 8 years.

When we were in Rhode Island our rent check got cashed by a thief and MSN even ate the cost and reissued her a check.

He didn't say that it had been cashed.

Yeah, you're right. He said others' checks were cashed. Silly me, though, for thinking that someone stole his check, too, they did it without the intention of stealing his money.

Someone might endorse your check. Some bank branch somewhere might cash it.

There, I fixed it for you. :roll:

She then proceeded to tell me they had the same thing happen to another property they manage last month!! Then she told me that whomever stole those checks WERE ABLE TO CASH THEM!!

Yeah, you're right. He said others' checks were cashed. Silly me, though, for thinking that someone stole his check, too, they did it without the intention of stealing his money.

There, I fixed it for you. :roll:

Now Bubba!
Read
Comprehend
UPDATE: Checked my online banking after work today, around 4, and everything was good with the book.
Just checked it 30 min ago and to my surprise there was a check that was cashed for $24.67. Check number was listed as 1311. My wife and I are only on check 1270!!!
I immediately called the 24hr bank assistance and alerted them of this fraudulent check.
The mothertruckers must have washed the check they stole(#1262) and just now used it within the last few days!!!
The online banking won't let me read the check yet, so tomorrow I'll check it, see where and when it was written and go down to the place and check to see if they have security footage for that day....maybe catch the $%^*@#'s!!!!
Customer assistance said an investigator will contact me within 1-2days.
I'm so stinkin mad right now!!!

Jesus....why do you even put a signature on checks now a days?? If just anyone can use them?? Sorry bout your luck, at least its only $25??

I know right! I said something to that effect to my wife...I can't believe the frickin bank actually cashed that!
My fear is, is that because now they have the routing and account numbers, they're just gonna make more blank checks.
I kind of yelled at the customer rep and told him that, so why can't they do something about it now!!!!!lol Poor kid, he was still nice though. lol

I know right! I said something to that effect to my wife...I can't believe the frickin bank actually cashed that!
My fear is, is that because now they have the routing and account numbers, they're just gonna make more blank checks.
I kind of yelled at the customer rep and told him that, so why can't they do something about it now!!!!!lol Poor kid, he was still nice though. lol

It is time to close that account and open another one. The bank should allow you to keep the same check number you close that account with so you won't have to start over again.

Down here in Aus with our cheques we write non negotiable arcross it with whom its made out to be so if they get ripped off or misplaced they cannot cash it.Even if its a cash cheque the tea leaves need id to show if its made out to them.Its pretty hard with cheques here.cc fraud is rampant all over the world aswell as identity fraud.Pricks they should remove their hands from the wrist so they cannot wipe their arses.

The 24 dollar check was just a test to see if the account is till active or has been closed. They do this all the time with stolen credit cards, start with a small amount to test the account, if it's still active they then go for the gold!!

Get that account closed PRONTO!!!

Well got the checking account closed and switched to a new one today. Man this is a pain!!

Had to get the police report filed. Then had to go to the store, a Loaf n Jug gas station, that the check was written to and file a unauthorized/fraud check use complaint. Now have to switch the discover loan, and car/life insurance as they all start being autopayed on the 25th! Not to mention, hopefully the bank does what they said and gets my paycheck deposited as it's direct deposited at midnight tonight, and fed and state returns deposited into the new account whenever they come in.
Frickin thieves!!!

Well got the checking account closed and switched to a new one today. Man this is a pain!!

Had to get the police report filed. Then had to go to the store, a Loaf n Jug gas station, that the check was written to and file a unauthorized/fraud check use complaint. Now have to switch the discover loan, and car/life insurance as they all start being autopayed on the 25th! Not to mention, hopefully the bank does what they said and gets my paycheck deposited as it's direct deposited at midnight tonight, and fed and state returns deposited into the new account whenever they come in.
Frickin thieves!!!

Glad to hear that you got it handled. Hopefully they catch the theives and hang them with some crossbar motel time.

-
Back