Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Rain, rain, rain, No outside work today...
That’s ok. Plenty to do between garage and basement if I find some motivation. Almost through my first cup of coffee and haven’t found it. Usually near the bottom of my second cup. Lol
Good Morning
Not raining here yet. I should get moving...
maybe onto a second cup.

I'm going to try putting the remaining spinach seeds in - maybe they'll grow. Not had much luck with my attempts to plant seeds this fall.
At least in part 'cause the squirells are digging everywhere.

Not raining here yet. I should get moving...
maybe onto a second cup.

I'm going to try putting the remaining spinach seeds in - maybe they'll grow. Not had much luck with my attempts to plant seeds this fall.
At least in part 'cause the squirells are digging everywhere.
Never grew spinach. Been years since I did anything but Spring planting of garden plants. Wife does some bulbs in fall and I’ve done grass and larger shrubs and stuff.

Wow, they cancelled the classic car cruise. Only 2 cars registered.

Never grew spinach. Been years since I did anything but Spring planting of garden plants. Wife does some bulbs in fall and I’ve done grass and larger shrubs and stuff.
Spinach is easy to grow. I can’t eat it cooked, but I love it fresh. (Insert a Karl pun I’m sure)

Think I need to turn off my auto misspell. I spend more time fixing the crap it changes than typing the post in the first place. I had it off, but I think the recent update turned it back on.

We back up to the woods and too many critters to try a garden. That's what the Farmers Market is for. A lot easier for sure!!

Spinach is easy to grow. I can’t eat it cooked, but I love it fresh. (Insert a Karl pun I’m sure)
Yep, I get a big bag of it and make salads. Might have to grow some. I’ve grown Kale last few years. But had little bugs on it covering bottoms of leaves with white crap this year. Didn’t use much of it

Yep, I get a big bag of it and make salads. Might have to grow some. I’ve grown Kale last few years. But had little bugs on it covering bottoms of leaves with white crap this year. Didn’t use much of it
Dust it lightly with seven dust. That will prevent that. I like kale like spinach, fresh but cooked it’s nasty

We back up to the woods and too many critters to try a garden. That's what the Farmers Market is for. A lot easier for sure!!
I almost always do tomatoes and peppers. They produce more than we use, so don’t care if the bugs mess some up.

Last edited:
That’s fine if it’s an alloy made for a t. I’m sure Frank meant not to use regular copper. No doubt people have done it. Save that for the water line to your ice cube maker. Lol

As far as I know there are four different materials out there. Regular steel, well, it comes with a few different coatings, but still the same steel inside, then stainless steel which has outstanding qualities, but is a pain to do yourself, and then it is what I call copper and the fourth is what I call copper nickel. Both the copper ones look very different, the one I call copper looks like pure copper in color, and the copper nickel has a totally different color. However, both these are copper alloys, I think one has some 89 percent copper and other has 90 percent, and I think both has something like 9 percent nickel, and one has 1 percent iron in it, and the other has 2 percent. I have no idea if this tiny little difference is what causes the difference in color, but among car people in Norway at least they are referred to as copper and copper nickel. As far as I know both of them has a burst pressure of around 19000 psi, which is over 9 times the maximum pressure you will ever get in your brake system. It is a little less than steel which have 19500 psi. A brand new steel pipe never burst in a brake system. But an old one might. A brand new copper pipe does not burst either, and neither does an old one. If a brake line burst when new, either steel, stainless or one of the copper alloys, it is not because they are close to the brake pressure, but something has happened to it, a too sharp bend, wear against a sharp edge or whatever. But that goes for any pipe of any kind and for any purpose.

I never said or.meant to use water copper pipes in a brake system. Never seen thick wall 3/16" copper waterlines either.

Bill

Last edited:
As far as I know there are four different materials out there. Regular steel, well, it comes with a few different coatings, but still the same steel inside, then stainless steel which has outstanding qualities, but is a pain to do yourself, and then it is what I call copper and the fourth is what I call copper nickel. Both there copper ones look very different, the one I call copper looks like pure copper in color, and the copper nickel has a totally different color. However, both these are copper alloys, I think one has some 89 percent copper and other has 90 percent, and I think both has something like 9 percent nickel, and one has 1 percent iron in it, and the other has 2 percent. I have no idea if this tiny little difference is what causes the difference in color, but among car people in Norway at least they are referred to as copper and copper nickel. As far as I know both of them has a burst pressure of around 19000 psi, which is over 9 times the maximum pressure you will ever get in your brake system. It is a little less than steel which have 19500 psi. A brand new steel pipe never burst in a brake system. But an old one might. A brand new copper pipe does not burst either, and neither does an old one. If a brake line burst when new, either steel, stainless or one of the copper alloys, it is not because they are close to the brake pressure in store ght, but something has happened to it, a too sharp bend, wear against a sharp edge or whatever. But that goes for any pipe of any kind and for any purpose.

Bill
I think the ones that look like copper are copper clad steel. I used prebent steel with the coil over like original from Inline tube

Last edited:
If I need to use chemicals I usually don’t bother.
If you’re worried about chemicals and risks, there’s an old time farmer trick you can do too. Mix some regular flour with yeast, and spread that on your plants. It does the same thing as Sevin dust. You could also just use self rising flour with the yeast already in it

If you’re worried about chemicals and risks, there’s an old time farmer trick you can do too. Mix some regular flour with yeast, and spread that on your plants. It does the same thing as Sevin dust. You could also just use self rising flour with the yeast already in it
Part of it is don’t want to use chemicals. But just not worth the effort to me. About the only thing I do is dust a little lime on the new plants to discourage the bunnies from munching them. There’s enough farm stands around, not gonna play chemist in the garden. And till I buy a few chemicals Id spend more than the veggies cost.

Think I need to turn off my auto misspell. I spend more time fixing the crap it changes than typing the post in the first place. I had it off, but I think the recent update turned it back on.
I have it off in the setting, but it is still on, and tries to correct my Norwegian writing to English, and have a learning function so now it tries to correct my English to Norwegian, and on top of it if I write a negative sentence it tends to omit the word not or no, or just rewrite the entire sentence. I think that is because of a new algorithm Google spell checker had to implement to stay on the Chinese market.

Bill

Plan would have worked better if there were seeds in the package. :rolleyes:
People behind me and one yard over do a lot of gardening in the fall. I think she starts a lot in pots - maybe inside or up on the deck. I need to get anotehr neighbor to translate so I can ask.
Some sort of giant snow pea. She called them Pea tu, or maybe she meant Peas too. LOL
All of this vine is just from one pot. There's maybe two more on the right. Maybe covers 20 x 25'
upload_2019-10-20_9-50-35.png

Further upslope I think she just transplanted sort of cabbage and has some other type of vine up by the house.

Part of it is don’t want to use chemicals. But just not worth the effort to me. About the only thing I do is dust a little lime on the new plants to discourage the bunnies from munching them. There’s enough farm stands around, not gonna play chemist in the garden. And till I buy a few chemicals Id spend more than the veggies cost.

My cousin in Norway put nettles in a bucket and fill it with a bit of water and let it sit for a week or whatever, and then drain the water in a jug, and use that to spray their veggies with. He say it works perfect there, no flies or worms eating on his cabbage, cauli flour or broccoli

Bill

I was finding harlequin bugs this year, but something else too that was chewing the leaves down to nothing.
In addition to picking them off I was trying lime on them, diatemactious earth and insecticidal soap. Verdict: Not sure if any helped or not.

-
Back