Stopped at a car show tonight.

-

onehellofadart

Reaction score
Didn't plan on it though.
Felt like taking the Dart out for a little cruise.
My wife asked if I would take her to one of the smaller malls around here.
So why not kill two birds with one stone.
As I'm pulling in to the mall there are car shows signs and arrows
everywhere. I look at my wife she could see the cars so she says,"drop
me here and I'll walk over when I'm done". This is one good woman !!
I didn't have to say a word.
Anyway I was there for a bout 20 minutes looking around and as I go
walking back to my car I see about 6 guys hovering around my engine compartment. I walk over with my MOPAR shirt on and at once the
questions come flying.
I've got nothing to hide so I answer all questions. Then It gets ugly.
4 of them had faster cars, of course. One wants to race right in the lot.
Another wants to run for pink slips. Sheesh, I just stopped in while my
wife was shopping. Me not being afraid of anything 8-[ except my wife.
Invite them all down to Island Dragway. No they want to race on the street.
Since I now haven't any points on my license nor any more insurance surcharges I said no. At that point my wife is done shopping and walking over to the car.
Said I gotta go guys, just stopped while the wife shopped.
Well now the car is a little cold and I start it. The cam was lopping just right
and all smiles disappeared from there faces. At that point I smiled. Backed out and was pulling away.
The last remark I heard as I pulled out was,"oh yeah my friend has a Hemi".
Why do people have to be such a**holes?
Well I enjoyed my cruise and looking forward to the Mopar Nats next weekend.
Sorry but I just had to rant a little, thanks for listening.

There's always the "friend" with a hemi, or a 9 second street car, or a dragster he drives to work.

People are stupid. And stupid people are annoying.

Stupid, annoying people at car shows at the worst.

LOL, I love the guys. I like when they have no clue what they are talking about and you can start making things up and they know just what your talking about. Did you ever get the guy that asks why you didnt paint you car like the General Lee.

AdamR said:
LOL, I love the guys. I like when they have no clue what they are talking about and you can start making things up and they know just what your talking about. Did you ever get the guy that asks why you didnt paint you car like the General Lee.
Yes and you answer but thats a Charger and the look at you like they just spotted another head on you shoulders and say nothing.
I bet these guys were driving Pintos

I get that a lot... My car is Orange, ya know. People ask if I'm gonna put a rebel flag on the top.

There's a thread somewhere about my run-in with a doofus at a local car show who said his stock-looking 340 powered Dart (or some other A Body) would run 10s, then 11s, maybe 12s, could go fast if he ever got around to bringing it to a drag strip, well, the previous owner said it would go really fast, that must mean 10s or 11s.

Did the guys with the faster cars or the ones who wanted to race by any chance have little imports?

I also like when people are looking at the car and ask whats in it. It says 340 on the fender in big numbers. Or the guy who asked if it was a slant 6 while its running.

AdamR said:
I also like when people are looking at the car and ask whats in it. It says 340 on the fender in big numbers. Or the guy who asked if it was a slant 6 while its running.

LOL!

I brought my car to work once, I had to have the trailer inspected and didn't feel like taking the car off. I went out around lunch time, found a couple of guys looking at it. The side of my scoop says "360 Four Barrell" in bright orange letters, they really stand out against the flat black hood. One guy says, "what you got in it?". "572 Hemi", I tell him.

Dummies.

I get a lot of that in my own neighborhood. Two of the neighbor kids have F-bodies they think are fast, and are ALWAYS wanting to race me. I think it's a joke. One has a 350/6 speed...stock except the loud Borla exhaust (loud isn't fast). The other is late model SS...supposedly running 375 at the wheels, but his shoe polish from Ennis says 12.76. Lousy, seeing he runs a 100hp shot.

HE thinks I should run nitrous on my car...heh..funny...I told him nitrous on is for people who don't know how to build a real motor. (Sorry if that offends anyone, but nitrous is a track-only tool in my book.)

I have to laugh. They refer to Mustang guys as "5 liter punks"....They just don't understand that I think they are the same cheesy crowd...F-body pukes.....

The LS1 cars are pretty fast. I know some one who has a 2000 SS, all stock except a converter and drag radials. He runs high 12s all day long and drives home with the A/C on.

Drove through at McDonalds one day with my Swinger,and the young lady at the window(16 maybe17) squealed, and told me she loved my "Road Runner".Her equally young partner looked at her with that annoyed look, and said"Thats not a Road Runner dummy,thats a Duster!"
At least the young ladies showed interest in the old Dodge,if not me!

mikelbeck said:
Did the guys with the faster cars or the ones who wanted to race by any chance have little imports?

That was my first thought!

I use my Scamp for alot when it's nice out,last summer i was on my way home just before i get into town there is one red-light,i stop in the outside lane look in the mirror and see headlights flying up behind me.
He pulls along side,it's a white ricer with some goofy graphics down the side and of course the standard wing on the back,i look over and he starts revving it and it has that really tough sounding pissed off bumble bee sound:roll:!
I think ok junior lets see what you got!:twisted:
Light changes and i let him take off first until he gets about a car length in front of me and i punch it,pulled right up beside him and right apast him!:burnout:
Guess it wasn't as fast as he thought,maybe it needed a bigger wing and more stickers!:dontknow:

Yeah their all alike. I never said what the car ran just what was in it.

But they were faster. Where is your car? I asked.
Oh its home its a track car only. I said ok this is a street car.
Meet me at Island 2 Sundays from now.
Excuses, excuses.

Ignorance is not alwys bliss. I am never amazed at what stupid people say, and as far as I can tell, everybody wants a racecar, or has the fastest car around.

Mopar471 said:
Ignorance is not alwys bliss. I am never amazed at what stupid people say, and as far as I can tell, everybody wants a racecar, or has the fastest car around.

I have a lot of patience but I agree Ignorance sometimes is just a big old pain
in the but.

John Wayne" Pilgrim somebody ought to punch you right in the mouth but I won't, I won't. The hell I won't.":boxing:

I have a choice of at least 2 cruise nights seven days a week with in an hours drive of home during the spring and summer months. The first one was last Thursday (ever other week) and my regular Friday night one starts tonight but the weather doesn't look promising.

For every one dink like the ones you ran across there are 10 great folks that are truely interested in hearing about your car and asking questions. The mental midgets with the I have a faster, better, ... don't phase me. It's the restoration snobs that come by and start with that not the: right color, right wheels, right interior, etc and I go I know and they go "so why did you do that?" that drive me nuts. It usually shuts them up with "it's my car and I wanted it that way and if I had to have it stock I would have sent it to the crusher".

The last few years my Barracuda has had a built \6 and it's amazing how much attention it will draw. People love the "This ain't your Grama's \6" sticker I have on the valve cover. I have been torn the past few years whether to swap in a v8 or not but this year is the year. I will be picking up my 360 from the machine shop next week and hope to have it installed by mid June. We'll see how much attention it will get with the small block.

Wow, nice Mopar. That color looks really good on the car and it has a very mean stance. I hear what your saying about the "why did you do that?" types. 99% of them are driving JUNK! I had a guy try to pick my car apart, not even at show.... just sitting in a parking lot. His girlfriend was with him and he was acting like he knew it all. I asked him what he was driving and he pointed to a rusted out HONDA Civic..... I just shook my head and said " It figures" his girlfriend was not impressed with him!
I'm getting ready to play with my slant 6..... when you remove yours are you interested in selling the intake, carb and header??? if so feel free to email me @ [email protected] and check out mine at www.cardomain.com/memberpage/818614

Bryan

Bryan,
I have had a bunch of people ask about purcahsing the \6 perfromance parts and I can't remember who has or hasn't. I would like to sell the engine complete but will likely have to part it out. When I announce on the board the 360 is in I will let ever one know but if some one has kept an email that indicates I had given them dibs before today then I will have to honor that.

i used to take my plain-old 68 mustang coupe to car shows, and you'd be amazed how many people ask if it's a shelby or why i didn't get a mach1 or some crazy crap like that....haven't had a lot of those questions about the barracuda....

the only one with it was in a parking lot, someone asked to see under the hood

".....WOOOOOW....is that a HEMI????"

to which i say

"no....just a wedge V8"

THEN....he said "so THAT's what a max-wedge looks like"

i slapped myself in the forehead, closed the hood and told him he wasn't allowed to look at my car anymore.....EVER

Know how many E Body guys get their cars confused with Camaro's?
eek5.gif

That's why I bring beer to the car shows. It helps me tolerate the idiots. It's either that or I beat them.

Good story, Tony.
My pet peeve goes something like this; a guy comes over to comment on your car....asks a question or two....and before you get to answer, he's off on a tangent telling you how his brother's friend that has a blah blah blah blah....as if you give a damn........................just shoot me!

I go to my first Car show next weekend....

I'm going to keep a small notebook with me and keep count on my 3 most asked questions.

1. Is that a hemi?
2. When are you painting it orange?
3. how much do you want for the car?

Being my car is far from finished I had planned on placing a tip cup on the air cleaner for all the suggestions on what I SHOULD do to it!
bs.gif

Gotta love car show spectators.... I had guy explain to his girlfriend how the six barrel was a rare option.
On a `68 Barracuda?
jestera.gif

-
Back