Stopped at a car show tonight.

-
Hey I've even heard who would want that blue piece of chit.

Then seen he had a cheby with one of those wobble head things on the
package tray.:knob:

dgc333 said:
For every one dink like the ones you ran across there are 10 great folks that are truely interested in hearing about your car and asking questions.

This has been my experience, also. For the most part I enjoy the show and the interaction with spectators. There is always a few idiots, but they are usually the minority.

dgc333 said:
The mental midgets with the I have a faster, better, ... don't phase me. It's the restoration snobs that come by and start with that not the: right color, right wheels, right interior, etc and I go I know and they go "so why did you do that?" that drive me nuts. It usually shuts them up with "it's my car and I wanted it that way and if I had to have it stock I would have sent it to the crusher".

*snicker* My car is a low mileage original paint car, but the paint is thin & it has plenty of parking-lot dings. All of the underhood markings and even the paper labels are still there, as is the shoddy underhood paint & detailing that came from the factory. It's a chestnut brown 318 car.

Last cruise-in I was at, I ran into a feller who has a 340 demon that is 100% restored. He hassled me for an hour, insisting I must leave the car in it's current state because it's an unmolested time-capsule......wish I had your line handy then. :laughing:

one guy tried to convince me my duster was a 77 cadilac eldorado when i was lying under the car to get the exhaust cutouts closed again on a cruising that time i was realy close to kill that idiot some people just dont know when to keep there mouths closed...

I must be damn lucky.I've never heard any negatives at a show yet.Course, I only go to all Mopar shows.Must be the comraderie.

Haha...This reminds me of one drunk I ran across at the local friday cruise last year.

I was talking to a guy I know with a 67 Coronet R/T since my dad has one too, and we were just talking about random stuff when some drunk walks up and butts in the convo. The owner of the car and him had a little convo for a bit, when the guy made some remark about my age and how I don't know anything about Mopars due to my age. The owner of the car kindly corrected him, and even said that I probably knew more than he did about Mopars, as he was the Mopar newbie of the bunch. This prompted Mr. Mopar Know It All to start quizzing me on things and telling me how every part on cars interchanges, blah blah.

After I corrected everything he said that was wrong he starts telling me how he was driving a 340 Cuda before I was born, and how I'm a disgrace to Mopar people (because I know what I'm talking about and not some random drunk?). This cracked me up and I kindly walked away, leaving him with some dignity.

Unfortunately for him, that dignity had to disappear as my dad and I got into the Intrepid (I was chauffering that night) as he was getting on his bicycle to leave.

hey tony,
ill give ya my cell phone number and the next time you go and these guys BOTHER you,give me a call!!!!!....either i can drive your car(since you dont want any tickets)and SPANK'EM!!! or ill tow mine up some weekend and we'll both terrorize them!!!
cuz i aint scared to street race!!!!

mikesduster said:
hey tony,
ill give ya my cell phone number and the next time you go and these guys BOTHER you,give me a call!!!!!....either i can drive your car(since you dont want any tickets)and SPANK'EM!!! or ill tow mine up some weekend and we'll both terrorize them!!!
cuz i aint scared to street race!!!!

Mike have you ever gotten caught street racing?
The last time I got caught I was doing 120mph in a 40.
It cost me big time. I'm not afraid to race I just like to drive on the street.
The track is the place to race and I can do without the insurance surcharges.
I think I am the wiser for this. But these are rules I set for myself.

mikesduster said:
yes ive been caughtbut i was ONLY fooling around about me racing your car..but i do still race mine!!!!

Don't get me wrong I'll nail mine through 1st & 2nd but usually, USUALLY now,
I get out of it when I hit third.
I showed no fear to these guys. I was willing to race my street
car at the track they are the ones who tucked their tails between
their legs not me.
Some of my friends, acquaintances, run for big money on the street.
I did also when I was a kid. But not anymore. Two of my old buddies are dead do to this.
We each set our own rules to live by. This is just one of mine.

Its always amazing how people's attitudes change when you tell them you only want to race on a track. All of a sudden they have other things to do. Any time someone asks me to race anything I tell them that I'll be at the track Friday night, because every Friday night I go bracket racing, and I'll gladly line up next to anyone for a time trial. I'll even more gladly run someone in eliminations.

threefortyduster said:
Its always amazing how people's attitudes change when you tell them you only want to race on a track. All of a sudden they have other things to do. Any time someone asks me to race anything I tell them that I'll be at the track Friday night, because every Friday night I go bracket racing, and I'll gladly line up next to anyone for a time trial. I'll even more gladly run someone in eliminations.

:thumbrig: If they make it to eliminations. Usually the guys with the big mouths run what they got.
THEIR BIG MOUTH.

AdamR said:
The LS1 cars are pretty fast. I know some one who has a 2000 SS, all stock except a converter and drag radials. He runs high 12s all day long and drives home with the A/C on.

HAHAHA ROFL! Adam you sound like one of those guy's at the shows.

Jack

onehellofadart said:
:thumbrig: If they make it to eliminations. Usually the guys with the big mouths run what they got.
THEIR BIG MOUTH.
Yep...then you have the guys who say they don't want to bracket race because thats for slow cars.

Because 8 second SS/AA Barracudas and 8.90 Super Comp dragsters are slow, right?

dgc333 said:
Bryan,
I have had a bunch of people ask about purcahsing the \6 perfromance parts and I can't remember who has or hasn't. I would like to sell the engine complete but will likely have to part it out. When I announce on the board the 360 is in I will let ever one know but if some one has kept an email that indicates I had given them dibs before today then I will have to honor that.
i would love to take it whole but there's now way i will pay for shipping all the way to the west coast

I just remember My favorite argument. I one time had a guy try to convince me my RoadRunner was green. It was bright yellow.

Here is my car show night mare story. I'm sitting in my lawn chair beside the fish smokin a cigar and sipping on a grog, when this older gentleman walks up and says "what year?", "68", "you sure?", "yup", "no I think its a 65, my buddy had one", no I'm pretty sure its a 68, you see its my car", "I don't know, looks like a 65 to me" "No its a 68, you see they didn't make a 340s or a notchback in 65 and if you look at the car beside me, the one that says 65 on it?, thats a 65 Barracuda" So he takes a look and reluctantly agrees with me, then comes back and says "my buddy had a 19 something or other with a 426 hemi in it", I said "oh ya, the good old elephant"... "no they never called it that", oh boy here we go again, I called my pal over who knows every mopar motor ever made and he proceeded to give this guy a lesson.
Generally I don't mind the questions or stupid comments but this guy was a real dip.
You should have seen the time some kids were bouncing on the wheelie wheels of my buddies pro street vega, with the parents standing there watching, when he snapped the parents got mad at him! ...what the ....?

I'm going to my first car show this weekend.... but I may reconsider. I don't want to have to beat some parent for letting there kid jump on my car, I don't want to argue with people that my 69 charger isn't a challanger, I don't want to explain 1000 times that my car will NOT be painted orange. I don't want to hear "thats a 360" they never put them in that Year charger...

and for gods sake. not one more "Is that a Hemi???"

my first car show was a great experience being that it was for the local mopar club. other shows have been nice too, I just hate getting treated with a "cute car kid" sort of attitude from the non mopar owners. Thus the 8" converter, 4.56's, low gear set, m/t drag radials and new motor will do all of my talking. But yeah, a lot of people miss the idea of "run what you brung" not run your mouth about what your third cousins, ex boyfriend of 3 years ago's car once ran.

I don't want to sour people on going to shows. I was venting on one
particular show on one particular night. I will still go to shows. There are still alot of nice people out there.
When I go to a small show there are usually 2-4 Mopars there. Mopars are on the low percentage side of large shows also. Lets face it they are not Chevies or Fords and people do not know their history as well as the know a Mustang.
So most people genuinely just don't know. As stated in others posts here
the jackasses are also the minority at the shows. That being said, I'd like to hear more of your personal experiences with these J/A's.

I Was Filling Up My Work Car (91 Merc. Tracer) Paid For The Over Priced Stuff Walking Back Out To My Car There Were 3 Kids On Bikes Looking At My Beater Work Car And They Asked If That Was A Nitrous Tank And Guages In It. I Said Oh Hell Ya But Dont Tell Any One And They Were All Oh And Ah. The Tank And Guages Were A Tank Of R134a And Charging Guages. I Think They Needed To Watch Fast And Furios Again. Oh By The Way Has Anyone At A Show Ever Told You That Thier Bro, Dad, Uncle ,friend, Boss, Dog Or Cat Once Owned That 426 Hemi With The Six Pac. That Used To Pull Wheels On The Street And Ran Faster That A Jet Plane? How Ever They Recently Sold It?

plum360415 said:
Oh By The Way Has Anyone At A Show Ever Told You That Thier Bro, Dad, Uncle ,friend, Boss, Dog Or Cat Once Owned That 426 Hemi With The Six Pac. That Used To Pull Wheels On The Street And Ran Faster That A Jet Plane? How Ever They Recently Sold It?

I always here how they wraped it around a tree, drunk, foing 100mph.... ect ect ect :?

I actually do hate car shows, especially if they don't have a swap meet. I do like to go and check out others cars, but the few times I've shown mine, boring. Not really into parking my car in the sun, trying to polish it in the sun and sitting there answering dumb questions. Now if we go to a show, we pay to park in it, since it's usually better, safer parking and then walk around, leaving the bugs all over it.

I kind of get a kick out of some of the stories I get. At least once a year I get the I used to have one just like it, only it had a 440 Hemi and ran 10's, etc. etc.

I usually just nodd yes and move on.

dubldart340 said:
I kind of get a kick out of some of the stories I get. At least once a year I get the I used to have one just like it, only it had a 440 Hemi and ran 10's, etc. etc.

I usually just nodd yes and move on.

It seems that every car they talk about "runs 10s". The guy who sold me my Duster said it'd run 10s, all I had to do was remove the front bumper. That was with a 318 and a stock transmission out of a van.

My favorite story was the guy who told me his buddy used to have one of those old "Hurst Darts". The problem was he couldn't drive it on the street, 'cuz as soon as he hit the gas pedal the car would be up on it's back bumper. Of course it'd come down between gears, but once he shifted it'd be back up on the bumper.

-
Back