storing a engine for the winter?

-

flathead31coupe

Reaction score
i have put my rebuilt/never ran 340 in the valaint, but iam not going to be able to finish it right now, what can i do to keep it good for the winter, the intake is blocked where the carb goes with tape and cardboard, and the sparkplug holes have paper in them...should i oil the cyl down good with oil, or put plugs back in.....it has no water, or oil in it now...the car will set outside....

i have put my rebuilt/never ran 340 in the valaint, but iam not going to be able to finish it right now, what can i do to keep it good for the winter, the intake is blocked where the carb goes with tape and cardboard, and the sparkplug holes have paper in them...should i oil the cyl down good with oil, or put plugs back in.....it has no water, or oil in it now...the car will set outside....

we usually put oil on the piston through spark plug holes using a little oil squirt gun thing (we put 7 squirts for luck) then put plugs back in you will get a better seal then paper !

is there a way you can slap a carb on there and air cleanner then block that off better ? you really dont want anny moisture in there but also id try to get good prestone in there im not shure if it might not pop a frost plug or not with nothing in it ....

for you intake i guess if you take a piece of sheet metal and drill holes as so you can cap the intake off and make at least a cillicone gasket just to make shure nothing gets in....(would probably be a good cheap option)

i would first off shurly put oil in it like yesterday.......you know how it gets cold then warmer then colder that make condensation=a little water=rust= tear down ? i know id rather be safe then sorry
i never stored a never run engine before i would think its tricky because oil is not present everywhere in advance

maybe im extream i dont know about your weather but here we have alot of blowing snow the stuff gets in everwhere

now that i think of a little more a cusin of mine store his rebuilt trans am engine 15 years ago and fired it up this summer he had filled it up 100% with oil and it worked for him smoked a little util it cleaned itself out

so where are the engine gurus at ? i cant belive it 76 up views and no other replies ?
im still not shure about his frost plugs if he has no prestone in there ...lol BUMP

I had my enigine on a stand for two years. I had the intake duct taped and put some oil down the cylinders. I had spark plugs in the heads. Also, I taped up the exhaust ports.

Good Luck.

Oil in crankcase, cylinders, plugs in, oil soaked rags in intake taped over same for exhaust ports. After oiling cylinders rotate engine by hand then install plugs, should also use oil priming tool to pump oil through out engine.

-
Back