Straightening particle board panels

-

jcmeyer5

Token Ford Guy
Reaction score
I have all 4 interior panels out of the car now. I am working on getting them rehabilitated for use. I regulars the front edge of the rear driver panel (pics attached). The front panel is warped. I’d like to unwarp it. Any ideas how?

8D5AA6EB-9DC5-41C7-9A7D-7CF2EC42436A.jpeg

86D08D55-54C9-45DE-962E-AF20BDC1426A.jpeg

4893C0C6-B560-45AE-B9C9-484237043B3E.jpeg

Pressure and A little steam at the same time! Pressure to last longer!

This is just a suggestion. I'm sure that there will be some others. I have had good luck taking the warp out of wood sheet this way. Mix some ammonia and water (1 part ammonia / two parts of water) into a spray bottle. Spray (you can use a sponge also) as much of the warped area until the panel shows that it soaking up the solution. Lay the panel on a flat surface wet side down (preferably on hot concrete walkway or patio) and put a sheet of wood, thicker than the panel on the panel and add weights to completely hold it down. Let it dry that way completely, maybe a day or two. It should take set.
Norm

This is just a suggestion. I'm sure that there will be some others. I have had good luck taking the warp out of wood sheet this way. Mix some ammonia and water (1 part ammonia / two parts of water) into a spray bottle. Spray (you can use a sponge also) as much of the warped area until the panel shows that it soaking up the solution. Lay the panel on a flat surface wet side down (preferably on hot concrete walkway or patio) and put a sheet of wood, thicker than the panel on the panel and add weights to completely hold it down. Let it dry that way completely, maybe a day or two. It should take set.
Norm
Pretty much what I did. I used straight water and 2 pieces of plywood. Got my door card good and wet, then sandwiched it between the pieces of plywood on concrete with bricks for weight. Worked fine.

See, it didn’t work for me. I tried soaking it, pressing it flat, but it still was warped. I went to using a lot he’s iron on the wet particle board. That worked well. It’s not perfectly flat, but it’s good enough.

I wouldn't even mess with it. Use it for a template and get some 1/4" marine grade plywood and make some more. But remember wherever you drill holes in it, you need to reseal it with polyurethane so moisture won't get in. Then they will outlast you.

I use 1/8" ABS to make door panels and seat back pieces Lincoln 60's to 70's and Porche door pockets, nice money maker for me!)for my boss for his interior business. I'll be making duplicates of the backer board for the dart,plymouth door panels (number 6 on the list) But my darned glove box project is holding me up.
seat back for a 64 Lincoln Since they are ABS these panels won't degrade at all if not left out in sunlight(or even in sunlight for many years)
003.jpg

cutting the door panels
003.jpg

and last but not least is the ABS door panels for his lincoln
61-3 lincoln rear.jpg

Nice. Do you use the stock upholstery on them?

Ostritch and Alligator on this one though
yeah, usually it is just stock interiors that we put back on the panels. Just peel the old ones off carefully and spray contact cement on the new ones, add new carpet and bindings as roll the bindings over to finish. here is one we had to do to send to India(no leather was involved and it matched the love of color people that live there love)

that a big bulky armrest that is padded on the door panel. pain in the behind to do,
20180524_161443.jpg

her I am installing the insert to the top panel and getting it ready to ship out along with the other 3 I just finished..total pain in the behind to do but worth it on the finished car (well he liked it, not me!)
20180524_161446.jpg

-
Back