Stripped the Bolt Head

-

pacuda59

pacuda59
Reaction score
I'm removing all of the old brake hardware from the 8 1/4 I picked up and while trying to remove one of the bolts from the wheel cylinder I stripped the ridges off the bolt head. Any suggestions on how to remove it?

I usually use a specially designed socket (example of a Canadian Tire set "Extract-it" shown) that grabs a stripped bolt and bites into it when pressure is applied.

In case you have a welder, weld another bolt or nut on to the stripped bolt and use that one to undo it. Apply some nice creeping oil, to loosen things up and some heat from a propane set and go to town LOL

Attachments

• extract-it.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 264
Just grind the head of the bolt. You're buying a new wheel cylinder anyway right ?

Knock the bolt head off with a hammer and chisel.

Not sure grinding would work, it's a threaded bolt.
If you grind off the head of the bolt, there is nothing holding the cylinder on. The threaded portion will still be stuck in the cylinder that you are gonna toss anyway.

Or as in the case of a brake job I just did on a 67 Malibu, I used a chisel and hammer and was able to hit the bolt in the direction of loosening the bolt and they spun right out. had to do this on all four front wheel cylinder bolts.

Or as in the case of a brake job I just did on a 67 Malibu, I used a chisel and hammer and was able to hit the bolt in the direction of loosening the bolt and they spun right out. had to do this on all four front wheel cylinder bolts.

Counter clockwise with chisel and hammer could work. Depends on how much rust and how solid the hammer blow will be. Worth a try

no sense messing around trying to get a bolt out on a wheel cylinder your not using; and if your rebuilding it your own your crazy, you can buy them cheaper

like others said; bolt threads into wheel cylinder so take grinder or die grinder and knock the head off and replace all the wheel cylinder bolts when you replace the wheel cylinders

Finally got them off with a combination of heat and blunt force.....thanks for the input.

no sense messing around trying to get a bolt out on a wheel cylinder your not using; and if your rebuilding it your own your crazy, you can buy them cheaper

a lot if not most of "new" wheel cylinders nowadays at autozone, etc. are offshore knockoffs. asian, not north american. i try to use kits if at all available when doing rear brakes. have found old delco moraine cylinders in the yards that i have sold for $50 a pair to resto types.

-
Back