stroker build questions

-

71scamp78

Reaction score
Ok in the beginning stage of stroker build. It's a scat rotating assembly shooting for 10 to compression. Just wondering what hp and torque it would make roughly with eddy heads no porting with a nice roller cam , eddy air gap and a 850 holley double pumper It's gonna be a street strip car mind you. It's either eddy heads or iron from Brian

A little vague on the descriptors, but I'll throw a dart: OOTB Eddies that have been made ready to run, or EQ iron, I'll guess 475 ishHP.

Iam in the same stage. I went 4.070 kb pistons, Scat Crank, Scat I beam rods, 9.8 compression. Hughes cam, Eddy heads. Roller rockers. Eddy 750 carb.Eddy performer rpm intake. We figured 460 hp 475 torque

you're probably gonna be in the 300-400hp range - likely somewhere in the middle - mine is stroked, bored .030, 10.5 to 1, 1.6 rockers, race cam, Edelbrock heads fully ported, Super Victor and 950cfm - right around 400hp.

you're probably gonna be in the 300-400hp range - likely somewhere in the middle - mine is stroked, bored .030, 10.5 to 1, 1.6 rockers, race cam, Edelbrock heads fully ported, Super Victor and 950cfm - right around 400hp.

that seems pretty low.........

Huh? Did you put the cam in right? Thats seems WAY low...even if it was wheel HP.

lol - yikes... ok, with a 150 shot it will lift the front tires.. guess I don't know and of course I can't find the paper work with the #'s on it.. closer to 500hp? Previous owner stated the car ran 6.90's 1/8mi. on just the motor.

i have 2014 Muscle Machine magazine 418 stroker build.
340..4" stroke,Hughes hydraulic roller .520 / .544 and 1.6 roller rockers
9.3:1 compression.Pocket ported x heads,stock iron intake (which are probably holding it back some)
dyno numbers were peak hp 347 and peak torque 425
i also know 2 guys with warm 408's that were 375 hp and 450 torque
...don't sweat the hp number strokers make torque

found a calculator - it's a rough estimate

Engine Displacement (CID) is 408
Mean Compression ratio is 10.5
Engine Revolutions Per Minute is 6000 Computation Results:

Computed Engine HP is 468

i have 2014 Muscle Machine magazine 418 stroker build.
340..4" stroke,Hughes hydraulic roller .520 / .544 and 1.6 roller rockers
9.3:1 compression.Pocket ported x heads,stock iron intake (which are probably holding it back some)
dyno numbers were peak hp 347 and peak torque 425
i also know 2 guys with warm 408's that were 375 hp and 450 torque
...don't sweat the hp number strokers make torque

You should go to Hughes website as they built an engine like this and heck made 350 hp.@ 4000 rpm and on up from there......

no doubt,408 strokers are capable of high hp...
but generally strokers (over square bore x stroke) make torque very easily

455 pontiac 4.15 bore 4.21 stroke 370 hp
455 olds 4.12 bore 4.25 stroke 375 hp
455 buick 4.31 bore 3.90 stroke 360 hp (more like our 440 with 375 hp)
all these engines have about 50 more cu.in than our 408
and have torque numbers over 500 ft. ibs

I've wondered about this since I started looking at this site. Why is it a guy can build a motor an ask hp numbers an get really low estimate from some people with a lot of knowledge. But when some guy who builds engines does one with a lot of the same parts but states some huge hp an torque no one bats an eye. Just sayin.

I've wondered about this since I started looking at this site. Why is it a guy can build a motor an ask hp numbers an get really low estimate from some people with a lot of knowledge. But when some guy who builds engines does one with a lot of the same parts but states some huge hp an torque no one bats an eye. Just sayin.

no one on here can guess at the quality of the work....the quality of the work will make a big difference...rings that don't seat...lousey valve jobs...incorrect timing..carb misadjusted...

everyone can guess.....you run it on a dyno...but an et slip with mph is the real thing..

The build description is complete enough to make a decent guess IF the build quality is a good one. The main ingredient missing is the camshaft specs. I'm not going to add 2 cents due to this and what Tony mentioned on build quality.

I think JBurch gave the best est. of what could be.
Dgully also gave a good figure to what could be. Though his description is a good one, it is still very general.

What headers and exhaust pipe size?
Cam specs
Actual flow numbers
Actual compression
And the list goes on and on.....

IF the heads flow as advertised.... The "Lay-mans" way of a HP "guess" is cfm X's 2 = possible HP output IF the rest of the engine is there to support it. You can slap on ported heads that flow 300 cfm, but your not making 600 HP if the rest of the engine is 't up to it. And that list is above (the missing ingredients) as well as other missing specs.

I love thinking about probable output for a given engine. But it is always a "Best guesstimate" as to what it might do. The above proposed set up can certainly make an honest 450/475 HP with a built right engine, cam and exhaust. But is it realistic or in line with the yet to be decided cam? And the rest of the build? Is yet to be seen or heard about.

Looking foward to seeing the build and its outcome!

-
Back